Author Topic: Re: Special Edition Tiger 1200's - Alpine and Desert  (Read 7935 times)

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Special Edition Tiger 1200's - Alpine and Desert
Reply #80 on: January 26, 2021, 07:05:15 PM
*Originally Posted by GreatScot [+]
My biggest hurdle right now is not being able to test ride or even throw a leg over a Tiger 1200 and having obviously never ridden one either I can't commit to buying one.  Looks like I may have a long and somewhat patient wait to entertain until conditions ease and I can get a proper sit on/ride at a dealers.

Now I know it's not a test ride but this is a decent tool to help in your decision, it's not 100% up to date but it's free https://cycle-ergo.com/ I've used it before to just see what sort of fit you are likely to get and it's a laugh seeing what you would virtually look like on some seriously tucked in sportsbikes. Gives me a bad back just looking at it sometimes. As to where I bought mine ? Well, I'm only 15 mile from Newcastle...
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #81 on: January 26, 2021, 11:51:38 PM
I'm also 5'10", 31" inseam, and although I had no problem with the bike at stock height, I liked it better with the Lust lowering plates installed.  Just felt steadier that last couple of feet before the stop.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline GreatScot

• Explorer Junior
  • City / Town: Alba
Reply #82 on: January 27, 2021, 01:56:47 PM
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
I'm also 5'10", 31" inseam, and although I had no problem with the bike at stock height, I liked it better with the Lust lowering plates installed.  Just felt steadier that last couple of feet before the stop.

Thanks for that pcarnut, helpful feedback.  Did you also adjust the front forks when you fitted the Lust kit?  Also, how much did you lower it?  I'm thinking 20mm would be adequate for our leg length?  I don't feel I want to go down the lower seat option as I don't think I'd like to lose any comfort 'shortening' the seat/footpegs physiological relationship between the two and possibly cramping my position if avoidable.

Any issues with getting it on the centre stand either fully laden with luggage or just the bike on its own?

Thanks in advance for your info :002:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #83 on: January 27, 2021, 03:32:49 PM
I have the Lust 20mm kit. You can get away with using your existing side stand although you do lose some lean, you just end up choosing your parking spots a little more wisely. You do need to lower the front, Lust recommends about 14mm-16mm for the 20mm kit to try and maintain the factory original trail value to keep handling as close to stock as possible. Putting the bike on the centre stand does require extra effort and I avoid using it whilst loaded up with luggage.

There is a lot of info on this forum on the lowering kits, just use the search feature.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #84 on: January 27, 2021, 10:38:22 PM
*Originally Posted by GreatScot [+]
Thanks for that pcarnut, helpful feedback.  Did you also adjust the front forks when you fitted the Lust kit?  Also, how much did you lower it?  I'm thinking 20mm would be adequate for our leg length?  I don't feel I want to go down the lower seat option as I don't think I'd like to lose any comfort 'shortening' the seat/footpegs physiological relationship between the two and possibly cramping my position if avoidable.

Any issues with getting it on the centre stand either fully laden with luggage or just the bike on its own?

Thanks in advance for your info :002:
As XCaTel noted, you do need to lower the forks.  And yes it takes more effort to lift it up but this is not too big a problem.  When the bike is not loaded with saddlebags, just take a little more oomph.  With bags I use a short length of 2x4 (about 6-8 inches) with a taper on one end, roll it onto the wood then lift.  I'll let you do the conversion math.   :008:  I have no problem with the side-stand and actually like it because the lean is less dramatic and it's easier to raise up.  So, yes, a couple of trade-offs.  I went with the 20mm kit.

As an aside, I bought the Lust kit and used the links as templates to make my own from aluminum plate, so one of these days I'll get around to selling the kit.

Regarding the seat, I removed the adjustable rear bar under the seat and let it sit on the frame rails.  This lowers your height a little, and I've found it doesn't push the family jewels into the tank, so it's more comfortable.   :001:
Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:44:46 PM by pcarnut
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

nonskid