Author Topic: Hello from a new member working in hot and sunny Asia  (Read 677 times)

Offline Llotse

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: R1200RT, R800GS
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
Hello from a new member working in hot and sunny Asia
on: January 21, 2020, 04:28:28 AM
Hi,

I am actually from East Yorkshire but working in Asia at the moment. I ride a 2015 R1200RT and a 1991 R800GS when home, they are my 8th and 9th boxers so was thinking of a change. I really don’t fancy another GS. The RT will go when I get home and I need a new bike in place for a 3 week tour down to Croatia and around that area in summer. I have narrowed it down to the Tiger 1200 and the new Versys 1000. I have had a good look around and this has been a great source of information, but I have a few questions which some of you may know the answer to and I would be grateful for any input.

I am 6’ and 90KG so don’t expect any problems with ‘weight’ although it seems like if one journalist mentions it they all have too. The owner reviews on YouTube rarely seem to mention it. The RT is more or less identical in weight but I expect the Triumph to carry it a little higher? Has anyone made this change? How did you find it? I know you cant really beat an RT for the long journey down to Southern Europe, but I always wanted my GS when I got there!

My Mrs accompanies me everywhere, I rarely ride alone. She is 5’ 3” and 54 kg so she will get a lot of wind protection from me. From your experience will she be able to see over the top of me when sat on the bike? Will she suffer from buffeting? It seems the bike has great rider wind and weather protection, but not sure about pillion.

I really don’t want any panniers, they seem to be part of the deal at the moment, is it metal panniers only or can you spec the plastic ones? Does anyone know of a dealer that will discount the bike rather than give panniers? My local dealer will be A1 at York, I have never been in before but have only heard good things about them.

Thank you for any advice and help, I am sure I will be back with more questions later!

Offline Llotse

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Re: Hello from a new member working in hot and sunny Asia
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:37:00 AM
Just had a look through the photos and I don't think she will see over the top of my head, just the same as the RT, so hopefully no buffeting for her.

Offline Benchmark

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:57:49 AM
*Originally Posted by Llotse [+]
My Mrs accompanies me everywhere, I rarely ride alone. She is 5’ 3” and 54 kg so she will get a lot of wind protection from me. From your experience will she be able to see over the top of me when sat on the bike?

That's a 7" difference so on a bike where the rider is sat upright (such as adventure bikes) that would be no unless she moves sideways to look over your shoulders. You'd need to be on something more like a sports bike that has you leaning forward to achieve a view straight forward for the Mrs.

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 12:59:55 PM
Hi  -  I'm also from East Yorkshire and have just bought a new Tiger 1200 XRX from A1 Moto in York.  I've been on 4 cylinder BMWs for the last 15 years (K1200RS and K1300S).  The Tiger is heavy and care must be taken when paddling or pushing it around - but those wide bars really help to keep it balanced.  As soon are you're rolling, the weight seems to vanish.  A1 Moto were great to deal with, and the boss delivered the bike personally and spent a good hour or so explaining all the modes available.  I'm pretty sure they'd do a deal if you don't want the metal panniers, but I did want them along with radiator guard, dresser bars, rubber tank pad and Garmin.

I totally love the bike and - apart from the 'up-stand ' rubber falling off on day one, cannot realistically fault it.  I am running it in very carefully, and have just discovered how good the headlights are.  As for carrying a pillion, I doubt you'll even notice she's there.  You can adjust the rider's seat independently of the pillion seat too, if that helps.  And the adjustable screen is no gimmick - it does make a significant difference to airflow and turbulence.

This is my first (and last) ever brand new vehicle and it's a keeper.  I hope you decide to go for the Tiger and are as happy with your decision as I am.  Let me know when you're back in the UK if you fancy comparing notes.

PS - You'll need to invest in a pressure-washer!
Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:12:17 PM by mcchoc

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 01:36:41 PM
 :400: to the family. I too, have no issues with the weight. I'm 5'11" and this is my third tiger and I love taking it off road even.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the kitty.  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:06:14 PM
 :400: aboard! You've got your new ride choices down to 2 very nice rides. I believe a test ride on both bikes with your bride will determine the choice for you. The extra comfort, seat space, suspension, and low grunt power of the Tiger should make it an easy choice. It is so nice to be able to cruise into small towns riding two-up, and never even having to down shift as long as you don't need to make any stops. Keep us in the loop on what you end up with and we'd love pics, no matter which flavor you end up with! :821:
Jon

Offline Llotse

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 11:15:25 PM
Thank you for the replies, I have been binge watching YouTube and at the moment the Tiger is in the lead, luggage space for the Mrs being much better, along with fit and finish, toys etc. I will ride both when I get home and see how they fit. As for the weight, I am not too worried, I had a Pan a few years ago and I believe that was well over 300kg. Lot of slow speed practice in a car park required to get ready for the alpine hairpins I think.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 08:34:09 AM
I was riding a PAN a couple of months ago and although lower I thought the weight was much harder to manage than the T12, especially at slow speed and stopped.

Offline Llotse

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 09:06:32 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I was riding a PAN a couple of months ago and although lower I thought the weight was much harder to manage than the T12, especially at slow speed and stopped.

A fantastic bike in its day, some still swear by them, but it was seriously heavy.

nonskid