Author Topic: Kilowatt hours or mpg?  (Read 418 times)

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Kilowatt hours or mpg?
on: February 04, 2020, 11:57:18 AM
Although I'm not too pleased about suddenly finding myself at this great age, I am so glad that I lived through the golden age of fossil fuels, when you could drive an old V6 engined TVR from Bristol to Flamborough through the night just for the hell of it - and a bacon sandwich, of course.  When you could strip down and clean the carbs on a Yamaha FJ1200 and feel the glow of satisfaction as it started on the first spark, hands stinging and stinking of four star.

So no new petrol vehicles from 2035?  I'll be eighty by then - if I last that long - and do not envy the generation who hit their teens after that year.  I guess they'll just punch their destination into their bloody phones, fall asleep in their automated driver-less cars and wake up on arrival.

I hope by then that I've clocked up many tens of thousands of miles on my Tiger 1200, worn out my Garmin, and made some more vivid biking memories.  See you all out there. 

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Kilowatt hours or mpg?
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 09:05:51 PM
All you say is true.  But I am looking forward to having my bike drop me off at the door of the hotel and then run off on its own to find a parking spot. Click the key fob to recall it in the morning.

And for those who would point out how vulnerable they would be to theft, I would think a 10,000-volt zap from the security system would discourage the ne'er-do-wells.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
Re: Kilowatt hours or mpg
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 09:08:49 PM
I saw a Model T driving down a country road the other day. An old fella, maybe 70 or more, just enjoying the sunny day at 25 mph.

The more things change, the more they don’t.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline chris1982

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Kilowatt hours or mpg?
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 07:38:20 PM
According to MCN (see below), motorcycles aren't included in the government policy on a ban of new petrol/diesel vehicle sales from 2035. Maybe this is because they are far more fuel efficient, with lower emissions in general, or maybe because the battery technology isn't anywhere near as ready for bikes as it is for cars, vans, etc.

Fifteen years is still quite a long way off yet, after all, fifteen years ago, no-one had an electric car, now there is a reasonable choice with more to come in the next few years and Triumph are already working on an electric bike...

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/petrol-ban-motorbikes/