Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Crash Bar(s) question...  (Read 519 times)

Offline Jubeeprince

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Eldersburg, MD
Crash Bar(s) question...
« on: February 04, 2020, 03:03:29 PM »
Hi All -

Recently purchased an '18 XRT (assuming Gen3 ?) and am looking to fit crash bars (upper and lower). I have been doing some reading here and some folks are having issues with their right knee hitting a fixing bolt.

Do the aftermarket brands have any design or installation advantage or over the OEM version?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
The PAYING customer is always right!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Crash Bar(s) question...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
The previous iterations (Mk1 & Mk2) had Triumph bars as an option, but it was incompatible with my feet (hated feeling the tip of my boots constantly touching the bars), so I never got them.
Since the Mk3 (like your and my '18 XRTs), the standard Triumph low bars design doesn't have this issue. So I ordered them with the bike and am pretty happy with them.
However, I reckon they surely won't prevent any costly damage (apart from the lower parts of the engine obviously).
So if you expect a fall to prove to be expensive to repair, high bars are a must. Can't recommend first hand, but I seem to remember that Givi or SW-Motech ones were approved by members here.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 05:14:07 PM »
I have factory lowers and SW Motec upper bars on my '14 Tiger and have no problems with them at all. They are also extremely effective in a crash (Go on, ask me how I know)

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 05:48:35 PM »
I have the OE lower bars on my ‘15 TEx.
They do restrict some leg/foot movement (I’m 6’4” with size 13 boots) but I got used to it on the first ride after install.
I had a bonehead tip over, two actually and the only damage was a left rear turn signal. Both times I did not have the OE hard bags attached.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:30:19 PM »
I never had that problem.
I have the OEM lower bars and SW-Motech upper bars. Had them both on Gen 1 and now on my Gen 3. I rode with both OEM plastic panniers and the Givi Trekker Outbacks (what Triumph re-brands - the aluminum cans) I don't hit any bars or bolts or have any discomfort.

I am 5'11" - 167 lbs.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline bazthebike

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: xcx 17/blue
  • City / Town: southwest
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 07:11:38 PM »
I have gen 2 xcx and have triumph lowers and heed uppers, no issues.

Offline jamieklb

• Explorer Pro
  • The most northerly UK Tiger 1200 so far...
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Kinlochbervie.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »
I have the OEM lower bars on my 2019 XRt and I’ve recently fitted the SW Motech uppers. I had both types fitted to my Gen 1 and found them great for resting my feet on long motorway rides. They will also make a good mounting point for highway pegs if required. I did manage to drop my Gen 1 a couple of times and it only scratched the upper bars a wee bit. I definitely haven’t had any restriction issues on either bike with the bars fitted and I have big feet.

Offline Jubeeprince

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Eldersburg, MD
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 11:57:44 PM »
Excellent, thanks all!  :031:

Looks like I'm going with the OE lowers and SW Motech uppers......

Cheers,

Steve
The PAYING customer is always right!

Offline DetroitTiger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Bloomfield, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 03:37:13 AM »
I went down pretty hard (and slid on the pavement for at least 20 feet) as I was leaned over/accelerating out of my subdivision a little too hard one fine morning last September on my way to work (after rolling through standing water on the pavement created by a lawn sprinkler at the subdivision entrance).  Didn't have any crash bars on my cherry 13k mile 2013 TEX.

I did however have an R&G swingarm protector (SP0033BK) installed, and a set of flat-black-painted stainless steel bar end weights that both really saved my bacon. 

The R&G swingarm protector bore the brunt of the left-side fall.  It got chewed up quite a bit as it slid across the pavement, but not to the point where it is unsightly or unusable.  Can't see how anyone can ride a TEX without one of these very fine specimens of Engineering.  Awesome product!

The stainless steel bar end weights, when not dampening vibration, served to keep the bike from fully falling on its side (kept the handlebars straight even as I went down and slid on the pavement).  Didn't incur any engine cover damage whatsoever, except for the bent shifter (bent it back) and broken linkage (easily-replaced bolt-on pieces).  I did also have to replace the cracked left side molded-in-color tank panel as well, but yet another bolt-on piece.  Had a few scratches here and there that I touched up--wouldn't even notice them unless I pointed them out.

As for me, only major damage was a broken tip of my left big toe (got caught between the pavement and the shifter) and had a couple of minor abrasions.   

Do yourself a favor and at least get an R&G swingarm protector.  You definitely won't be sorry.  Driveshaft housings can get badly scraped up sliding on pavement.  Don't need bar end weights if you have engine crash bars.     

Offline Jaim

• Explorer Junior
  • City / Town: Cape Town
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jubeeprince [+]
Hi All -

Recently purchased an '18 XRT (assuming Gen3 ?) and am looking to fit crash bars (upper and lower). I have been doing some reading here and some folks are having issues with their right knee hitting a fixing bolt.

Do the aftermarket brands have any design or installation advantage or over the OEM version?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

My right knee does touch the head of the mounting bolt  of the upper crash bars on my bike. I ride with motorcycle pants with knee protectors almost all the time and so I don't feel it but when I have normal normal pants on, it can sometime alert me to its presence. Nothing too invasive that I can't live with. I don't even notice anymore. I only noticed when I first got my bike.

Recent Topics