Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Warning Lights ABS, TC, TSAS All at one time  (Read 352 times)

Offline Triumphxrx

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XRx
  • City / Town: Overland Park
Warning Lights ABS, TC, TSAS All at one time
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »
Took the 2017 Triumph 1200 Explorer out for a ride. Not a half mile from the house all three lights come one. Found out later my son rode it a couple of weeks before just to keep everything lubed and it gave him the same errors, but he forgot to tell me.
Said not to ride, check manual. So I took it back to the garage. Shut off the bike off and restarted it. Same malfunction lights were on. Left it running, when back to the house to get the manual. Looked it up in the manual and basically it said take to Triumph. This took about 20 minutes. Went back and to shut it off, and I noticed I had a condensation spot on the right headlight lens. I reached down to wipe it off and found it wasn't a condensation spot but that the lens was melting, soft to the touch.
Has anyone ever had this or any of the other problems????

Took to the dealer, and talked to them yesterday, the advised they ran the codes and it showed low voltage. Has anyone ever heard of this does this sound right???

Forgot to mention, dealer is advising that I had to have the lens covered, which it wasn't for the lens to melt?

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Re: Warning Lights ABS, TC, TSAS All at one time
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 08:17:09 PM »
Low voltage will cause the engine management light to come on. It resets after 3 heat up cycles. Don't know about TC and ABS though.

Do you have a lens guard/cover? That might be doing it
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Online TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »
I got this fault when I started the engine, then stopped it, then turned on the ignition, and then turned it off before the start-up sequence had completed.

So something to do with interrupting the start-up. Does that make any sense in your context?
--------
If not now, when?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »
First (hopefully explainable) symptom: the headlight melting.
The only occurrence I can recall was someone having fitted a 100W halogen bulb in it. Definitely not recommended.
As for covering it, it could only make things worse (as it would theoretically reduce heat dissipation).

IF you have such an overkill bulb (a pair of which would add a good 90W draw to the main loom), that could maybe explain the "low voltage" error by drawing too much current, especially when the alternator isn't spinning fast.
However, what I understand from this error message is that your bike enters a state where the voltage drop is sufficient to have the electrics (ABS, TC...) starving. I'd never thought it could happen!

Offline Ken K

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Penngrove
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 05:25:09 PM »
Had ABS and TC warning lights, cruise control, and odometer wasn't working.  Dealer replaced rear wheel sensor.  All is now good.  2014 Explorer

Offline Triumphxrx

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:04:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
Low voltage will cause the engine management light to come on. It resets after 3 heat up cycles. Don't know about TC and ABS though.

Do you have a lens guard/cover? That might be doing it

The error only started after about a 3/4 mile ride.  No lens guards, or cover.  It could have taken place while the error was on and I just didn't notice it till, I walked backed to the garage.

Offline Triumphxrx

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
I got this fault when I started the engine, then stopped it, then turned on the ignition, and then turned it off before the start-up sequence had completed.

So something to do with interrupting the start-up. Does that make any sense in your context?

I agree with the interrupting the start-up sequence,  but the errors came on after about 3/4 mile on what I hope was going to be a good ride.

Offline Triumphxrx

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 03:09:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
First (hopefully explainable) symptom: the headlight melting.
The only occurrence I can recall was someone having fitted a 100W halogen bulb in it. Definitely not recommended.
As for covering it, it could only make things worse (as it would theoretically reduce heat dissipation).

IF you have such an overkill bulb (a pair of which would add a good 90W draw to the main loom), that could maybe explain the "low voltage" error by drawing too much current, especially when the alternator isn't spinning fast.
However, what I understand from this error message is that your bike enters a state where the voltage drop is sufficient to have the electrics (ABS, TC...) starving. I'd never thought it could happen!

NIK, bulbs are all factory, no accessories have been added to the bike other than lower engine guards. 

If the voltage drop is enough to trigger the ABS/TC starving, it should be any easy fix of a new alternator, you would think.

Recent Topics

nonskid