Author Topic: Am I the winner??? - Rear Hub failure at <400 miles  (Read 1185 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Am I the winner??? - Rear Hub failure at <400 miles
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 05:16:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Personally I would suspect mis-assembly or a sub-standard component rather than a lack of oil. Surely a lack of oil would cause the hub to seize or disintegrate internally but not make the wheel wobble?

No doubt the consequence of no oil could be catastrophic, possibly locking the back end up etc, but I would expect a lack of oil to be apparent by noise & vibration before the wheel came loose.
Without oil, the bearings would rapidly fail, causing the wheel to go loose. The wheel would start out fine, but then rapidly deteriorate, similar to what the OP experienced. And it would get noisy as it wore.

The fact that the dealer declined to comment on the oil (or lack of it) is all you really need to know. If it had been full of oil, why would they decline to comment?

I had a similar situation with a new Subaru forester. Shortly after purchasing the car, I noted some issues with the CV transmission. I took it to the dealer, who supposedly checked it and the fluid level and found everything was fine.

A couple of months later, I got a recall notice from Subaru for a low fluid problem with the CV unit (there was no dip stick on that model). So, I took the car back to the dealer, and sure enough, my CV unit was down 3/4 of a litre (it was an assembly line mistake). So, then I asked the dealer why he did not catch the low fluid level when he supposedly checked it two months earlier. No comment...  :004:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 08:34:04 PM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Without oil, the bearings would rapidly fail, causing the wheel to go loose. The wheel would start out fine, but then rapidly deteriorate, similar to what the OP experienced. And it would get noisy as it wore.

The fact that the dealer declined to comment on the oil (or lack of it) is all you really need to know. If it had been full of oil, why would they decline to comment?

I had a similar situation with a new Subaru forester. Shortly after purchasing the car, I noted some issues with the CV transmission. I took it to the dealer, who supposedly checked it and the fluid level and found everything was fine.

A couple of months later, I got a recall notice from Subaru for a low fluid problem with the CV unit (there was no dip stick on that model). So, I took the car back to the dealer, and sure enough, my CV unit was down 3/4 of a litre (it was an assembly line mistake). So, then I asked the dealer why he did not catch the low fluid level when he supposedly checked it two months earlier. No comment...  :004:

Fair point, I hadn't considered the wheel bearing aspect, only the drive bevel mechanism.

Sadly these days dealers often automatically choose the "3 wise monkeys" response to every issue as a first line of self defence.

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa '69
  • City / Town: Swindon
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 10:18:30 PM
Well I have the PDI with a big tick in the 'Oil - Engine and Final Drive.  Check levels and top up if necessary' box, so let's just wait and see.
TTruckie