Author Topic: Tiger Update  (Read 1882 times)

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Ojai
Tiger Update
on: February 10, 2020, 04:36:18 PM
Hey guys, I took my Tiger in for a new battery on Friday and there was an ECU update. My tech installed it and it feels like the bike runs better! Anyone else get the update? I'm curious as to what you think and if you feel your bike runs better?

Also, I put Anakee Adventures on my bike 2 weeks ago (this is my 5th set of tires for the Tiger). I now have 1000 miles on them and I will say they are, by far, the best tire I've been on for any bike I've ridden! I have no hope they will last very long because they are so good that I feel as if they are going to melt at any time! They are the best street tire I've been on and I have taken them offroad once and they seem to do well there, too, but for the street they are AMAZING!

Lastly, is anyone else having alternator issues? I have a 2019 XCA and my alternator is going bad at 14.5k miles. There is a warranty claim being filed...anyone else?
Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:39:10 PM by mike2411
"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding."

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Re: Tiger Update
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 04:57:48 PM
Good on the Anakee Adventures... I'm on ~7K miles on them, well not the rear anymore - I managed to drill a few holes on it with various nails and screws I picked up in NY so the rear is now Anakee Wild, front is Anakee Adventure. I live Michelins :-)

:821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 05:05:12 PM
You have 7k on yours? How??? So far, nothing has lasted more than 3k miles on the Tiger...the thing EATS tires!! Icy, you ride a lot, what is your riding style? Do you ride aggressively or take it easy?

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 10:40:05 PM
*Originally Posted by mike2411 [+]
You have 7k on yours? How??? So far, nothing has lasted more than 3k miles on the Tiger...the thing EATS tires!! Icy, you ride a lot, what is your riding style? Do you ride aggressively or take it easy?

7K is nothing. I got more than 15K out of my Mitas E07 Dakars. I would've gotten more from my Anakee III but I filled them up with nails and screws as well and needed to replace them. My secret is to keep riding on the tyres until I cannot see the threads anymore, probably way later than recommended lifetime of the rubber depth but beh, whatever.

On this forum somewhere is the evidence of when I replaced to the Adventures on the current Tiger. This time I am trying to nail this mileage thing. I suck at this, I don't record anything. I hate Metzellers so I replace them as soon as I can...

"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 12:17:02 AM
I got 15kkm (9320mi) out of my last set of Scorpion 2 trails.
But it was too much.  Rubber on the rears was very thin!  Should have changed them earlier.

No problems with my T12 alternator (that I'm aware of).  Up to 32kkm now.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 04:29:30 PM
No alternator issues, so far, knock on wood.  I've been using the Dunlop Road Smart IIIs and extremely pleased with them.  I usually get 6500 miles out of most rear tires, just replaced my rear at 8600 miles and was not yet at the wear bars, could easily have reached 9k. Most new tires feel pretty decent, but it's when you get about 50% down on tread that the handling starts going away, but the RS IIIs have been consistent right up to replacement, YMMV.  :002:
Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:34:45 PM by pcarnut
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 04:35:11 PM
pcarnut, I see you run straight street tires. I've considered it but then end up going to something that can get me into a little dirt...enough to just get me in trouble! Some dirt can be difficult and that is discouraging to me, then I ride some that isn't very difficult and I really enjoy it! I am sure the whole "dirt thing" will wear off and then I might run road tires but I can't go there, yet!

I do agree that most tires feel good when they are new but I will tell you, from someone that has gone through many, many tires on different bikes, that Micheline got it right with the Anakee Adventure!

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 04:49:57 PM
Funny, seems we're always searching for the next great tire.  Be curious to hear how long the Adventures last.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 04:58:29 PM
It's that way on any bike forum! The one that gets me, and I can't figure it out, is the claim guys are making that they get 12k-15k from a set. I can't figure that one out! I ride hard, really hard, and I am hard on tires but to get that kind of mileage from a tire means the bike isn't doing much. I can't ride like that, I've tried slowing down but it doesn't work for me. I ride canyons like the Tiger is a sportbike (it handles that well) and I ride the freeways fast! I takeoff hard and brake hard...I ride like that and realize it's going to eat tires but I can't get more than 3k miles from any tire so far.

My Trophy was good for 6k miles, MAX. That was with tires that were supposed to last 12k, according to marketing and people that had them.

I can't be the only guy riding like that, but I rarely hear of anyone else switching tires on these bikes every 3k mile. I am deep into the wear bars at 3k and there is usually significant cupping of my front at that point. I constantly keep track of my pressure...what am I doing wrong?  :027:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 05:28:57 PM
*Originally Posted by mike2411 [+]
It's that way on any bike forum! The one that gets me, and I can't figure it out, is the claim guys are making that they get 12k-15k from a set. I can't figure that one out! I ride hard, really hard, and I am hard on tires but to get that kind of mileage from a tire means the bike isn't doing much. I can't ride like that, I've tried slowing down but it doesn't work for me. I ride canyons like the Tiger is a sportbike (it handles that well) and I ride the freeways fast! I takeoff hard and brake hard...I ride like that and realize it's going to eat tires but I can't get more than 3k miles from any tire so far.

My Trophy was good for 6k miles, MAX. That was with tires that were supposed to last 12k, according to marketing and people that had them.

I can't be the only guy riding like that, but I rarely hear of anyone else switching tires on these bikes every 3k mile. I am deep into the wear bars at 3k and there is usually significant cupping of my front at that point. I constantly keep track of my pressure...what am I doing wrong?  :027:
I easily got 12,000 miles on my last set PR4s on the TEX. And they were not all the way down to the wear bars. I am a smooth rider. I live in a mountainous area, so lots of twisties. Almost all pavement riding. A mix of highway and city riding. That kind of tire mileage is typical for me. I usually ride one-up and I weigh 150 lbs.

Variables can include the type of aggregate used in the asphalt in your area. I guess I kind-of resent the comment that my bike "isn't doing much". I tour. I cruise. I strafe. I enjoy my ride. Did I mention that I am a smooth rider?   

YMMV  :164:
Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:33:41 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

nonskid