Author Topic: Tiger Update  (Read 1880 times)

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Ojai
Re: Tiger Update
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 05:47:40 PM
I didn't mean for it to come across that way...sorry that it did. I was in no way making a dig on anyone! I was trying to say that if a Tiger (or any bike) is getting that kind of mileage it must be sitting...more of a dig on the bike but I guess it sounds bad no matter how I slice it so I am sorry if I offended you :006:
"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding."

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 06:35:44 PM
*Originally Posted by mike2411 [+]
I didn't mean for it to come across that way...sorry that it did. I was in no way making a dig on anyone! I was trying to say that if a Tiger (or any bike) is getting that kind of mileage it must be sitting...more of a dig on the bike but I guess it sounds bad no matter how I slice it so I am sorry if I offended you :006:
No harm, no foul.  :001:  I think that tire mileage is a reflection of many different factors. Like, you, I find myself wondering what I would have to do to only get three or four or five k miles out of a set of tires. And I just can't imagine how I would go about accomplishing that.  :038:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 06:42:27 PM
Thank you, and the whole "tire battle" drives me crazy  :191:! It has been since I started riding the big bikes in 2012 (all sportbike before that). The Concours was my first and guys were claiming 12k-15k on PR3's...I got 8k, which isn't bad, but not 12k-15k! Then, it went downhill from there and I never touched the 8k mark again :110:

I guess I should accept the fact that tires are made to last 3k miles? Maybe I can avoid disappointment if I accept that fact. If I get more out of a tire, I'll enshrine that tire and celebrate :082:!

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 06:50:07 PM
Mike, you don’t have to make excuses for your driving style. We all drive differently. But what eats up tyres the most is extremly exellerathing and Breaking. In always try to read the road, and the drivers on it ( I don’t drive off-road yet), and try being proactive with gass and breaking. Once in a wile I do use my right hand on the gass But most of the time crousing. In still have 4mm of tread on my Pirelli scorpion trail 2 after 11000 kms.

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 06:52:28 PM
Thank you, Bruce! Sounds like I need to smooth things out and try to ease up on the accelerator/brakes! I can try but not sure how that will go :007:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 07:18:45 PM
Thank you, Bruce! Sounds like I need to smooth things out and try to ease up on the accelerator/brakes! I can try but not sure how that will go :007:
I use engine braking 90% of the time. At times, the only reason that I use my brakes is to alert riders/drivers behind me that I am, in fact, slowing down. It is a bit of a game to me to see if I can get through a twisty mountain section without touching my brakes at all. Again, this is my riding style. The TEX has great engine braking capabilities. Of course, YMMV.  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 08:31:06 PM
It's that way on any bike forum! The one that gets me, and I can't figure it out, is the claim guys are making that they get 12k-15k from a set. I can't figure that one out! I ride hard, really hard, and I am hard on tires but to get that kind of mileage from a tire means the bike isn't doing much. I can't ride like that, I've tried slowing down but it doesn't work for me. I ride canyons like the Tiger is a sportbike (it handles that well) and I ride the freeways fast! I takeoff hard and brake hard...I ride like that and realize it's going to eat tires but I can't get more than 3k miles from any tire so far.

My Trophy was good for 6k miles, MAX. That was with tires that were supposed to last 12k, according to marketing and people that had them.

I can't be the only guy riding like that, but I rarely hear of anyone else switching tires on these bikes every 3k mile. I am deep into the wear bars at 3k and there is usually significant cupping of my front at that point. I constantly keep track of my pressure...what am I doing wrong?  :027:

Well, just to have it out there, this is how I ride and that's my mileage have always been over 12K. The only thing I don't do is burnouts and slide brakes. I almost never disengage my ABS. I don't baby the bike and abuse the tyres all the way... I rode the Anakee IIIs on ice, rain, mud, gravel, rocks whatever; same with Mitas E07s. Sadly I don't live in RI anymore so the only abuse the Michelin Adventure and Michelin Wild sees is New York city roads - on some level it's actually worse. I never picked up that many nails and screws anywhere else on the bike but NY. One more thing: I don't deflate the tyres offroad or anything. They stay the same all the time.

Anakee III

Mitas EO7 Dakar Edition

Two Up - Mitas E07 Dakar

"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 08:46:01 PM
My tyres last around 5500 miles on a rear and around 10000 for a front though the front Road 5's don't seem to do so well. Problem I have is the tyres squares off and loses its profile long before the tread is down to the 1mm legal limit herein the UK
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 10:24:11 PM
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
My tyres last around 5500 miles on a rear and around 10000 for a front though the front Road 5's don't seem to do so well. Problem I have is the tyres squares off and loses its profile long before the tread is down to the 1mm legal limit herein the UK
I'm the reverse. On my third front at 21,000 Km and I really should change my front again now to a fourth as the wear pattern is affecting the turn in a fair bit now.  I think that is because I ride a lot of twisty country back roads here in Ireland and the front goes trapezoidal quite fast with lots of braking and leaning. It's probably why I only get 8K Km out of rear pads too.

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 10:43:35 PM
XCaTel, my pads wear fast as well!!! I have 14.5k miles on my Tiger and I'm on my 5th set of tires, 2nd set of pads, and about to go to my 3rd set of pads!

nonskid