Author Topic: New gen 4 is on it's way ....  (Read 10833 times)

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Both proudly built in Hinckley 👍
  • Bike: '13 Gn.1+’15 Trophy
  • City / Town: Liskeard
Re: New gen 4 is on it's way ....
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2020, 07:15:51 AM
This is really encouraging that it’s apparently a clean sheet design. I’m going to try and stay positive that Triumph haven’t got hung up on weight loss and removed things that made me want to buy one in the first place; things like forgetting to fit a hydraulic clutch, removing the powerful alternator or putting in a battery that might be better suited to a 250!

2013 to date: 2013 Tiger 1200 &
2020 to date: 2015 Trophy 1200
And always a Land Rover / Range Rover of some sort 😁

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 08:34:04 AM
I think the single sided swing arm has gone, that will drop a fair bit of weight and allows the left hand shaft drive housing to shrink somewhat, a good trade-off really. I am suprised they perservered with the T12, given the low sales volumes, and have seemingly spent a lot of time in development on this. Hooray for Triumph, glad to be proved wrong, I really didn't think they would do it.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 08:38:35 AM
*Originally Posted by redmerle [+]
This is really encouraging that it’s apparently a clean sheet design. I’m going to try and stay positive that Triumph haven’t got hung up on weight loss and removed things that made me want to buy one in the first place; things like forgetting to fit a hydraulic clutch, removing the powerful alternator or putting in a battery that might be better suited to a 250!
I think the hydraulic clutch is very poor on the Gen 3 T12. The Hydraulic clutch on my 1995 Daytona 1200 is vastly superior when it comes to feel and control and the cabled clutch on the Scrambler 1200 is awesome. Difficult to see a master cylinder in those photos but you would imagine it would be hydraulic to tick the "competes with" box. I'd be happy either way.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 09:55:04 AM
I expect there'll be more spy-shots & teaser stories over the coming months then probably launched at ECIMA Nov 2020 ready for sales in spring 2021.  I'd like to see what the road biased variant will be like, assuming there will be one.

Offline ChrisN

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger1200XCa
  • City / Town: Preston
Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 10:45:25 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I think the single sided swing arm has gone, that will drop a fair bit of weight and allows the left hand shaft drive housing to shrink somewhat, a good trade-off really. I am suprised they perservered with the T12, given the low sales volumes, and have seemingly spent a lot of time in development on this. Hooray for Triumph, glad to be proved wrong, I really didn't think they would do it.

I think you're right about the swing arm. The rear brake disc is on the far side so it must be two sided.
Personally I don't like the slimmed new down look with bicycle tyres.
Seems Hinkley have finally given up on chasing the big GS....
All very interesting.
my Explorer XCx now lives in Tenerife

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 02:55:43 PM
Shaft  :047:
1200 cc  :047:
Lighter  :440:
More fuel capacity  :440:
No mandatory keyless  :047:
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 03:39:04 PM
I'll wait until I see one in the flesh.

I don't care for it from what I see in the pictures.

For me, the lack of a single-sided swingarm is probably a deal breaker.  I just like the look of them.

Rides the MaidenCruiser

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 03:44:05 PM
I see what you mean about the rear disc. The calliper has to be mounted somewhere, so it’s goodbye single sided rear swing arm. I remember Triumph making that mistake before on the Daytona 955i and then having to hastily fix it.

Here’s hoping that there are very big improvements elsewhere to compensate for that loss. If not, it would be a deal breaker for me.

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
Reply #38 on: February 15, 2020, 03:46:53 PM
That’s two of us then. It looks great, it’s easy to clean and a complete doddle to change the rear wheel; why would I pay money to lose it?

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
Reply #39 on: February 15, 2020, 03:56:04 PM
 If we take some queues from the 900 I bet the dirt version will have a 21 inch wheel and the street version will have a 19 or 17 front mag wheel.  I think Triumph is going to be differentiating their road and dirt bikes more to give them better capability in their home turf.

I am a little surprised at the depth of the sump, I thought they would do the same as the 900 and shrink it to get the center of gravity lower.   I would also love to see the fuel tank lower and where the current tank is just house the airbox and other items.   Then taking off the "tank" would be a lot easier for service and it would lower the center of gravity.   I have to think Triumph heard all of the reviews that said the center of gravity is way too high, a huge fuel tank up high is not what you want. I think it would be great to have a 6 gallon tank at the bottom frame rails protected by the skid plate.

I hope they didn't mess with the new "1200" firing order like they did with the 900.  I can totally understand the physics of why Yamaha went with the cross plane crank versus the flat plane.   On the triple though I don't know why they messed with the firing order,  They kept talking about making the triple a V twin.  I just can't understand how the weird firing order helps, if you want traction you want smooth pulses and the triple is by nature already a cross plane crank so you don't have all the pistons at the same velocity at the same time like you do on a flat plane I4 crank.  All I can think of is gimmick driven design on the 900 and I don't like the sound.   If I want a V twin I will buy a KTM.

nonskid