Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New gen 4 is on it's way ....  (Read 6150 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: New gen 4 is on it's way ....
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
Are we sure it’s a 1200? Maybe part of the weight saving push is to slot in the 1050?

And surely Triumph must know nobody goes serious off-roading with a T12, is a 21” really necessary? I got rid of my Africa Twin with its skinny 21” front end because I thought it was a bit too compromised for the road.

I purchased my XCa for the “look” of the spokes in the knowledge the difference between the XR and XC range are just cosmetic, it has no more off road credentials than my old DR350.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
And surely Triumph must know nobody goes serious off-roading with a T12, is a 21” really necessary?
This may be the whole point of the remake. Is this a serious attempt to make the T12 a full-on ADV bike? It will be interesting to see what they have done with the engine, displacement-wise.

The problem that I can see with this, is the possible blurring of the distinction between the 900 and the 1200, which may lead to more people choosing the cheaper 900.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:02:10 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2020, 05:14:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Are we sure it’s a 1200? Maybe part of the weight saving push is to slot in the 1050?
Looking at pics of the 2020 Street Triple, I don't think that this new T12 is a 1050. The 1050 has its water pump where this bike has its oil filter.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline D16PJM

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Sidcup
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2020, 06:58:47 PM »
i bought my Triumph due to its size, its a bike to munch the miles and the frontal area is part of the comfort. all bikes now are getting smaller which is sad if like me you like a bit of girth  :001:

Pete

Offline SleepyOwl

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tex
  • City / Town: Saltash
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »
Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

Brian

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2020, 10:16:52 AM »
Oh dear.  The new bike just looks like a tarted-up dirt bike.  I'm thinking KTM but almost avoiding the ugly stick.

Given the death of the traditional sports-tourer ( I'm thinking that Honda's VFR 1200 was the last of them), I don't understand why Triumph don't forget about what happens in Berlin and concentrate instead on building a modern take on the sports-tourer.  To me, with the 1200 XRX, they just about already have. 

For most bike journalists, if it ain't the quickest balls-out sickle on the block, it ain't worth talking about.  And if it couldn't win Paris-Dakar straight out of the crate, it's a no-goer.

With the ongoing appalling state of our roads, both here and across much of Europe, with fewer and fewer riders feeling the need to pose as Rossi wannabees, and with the increasing number of speed cameras (sorry, I meant safety cameras) around the place, there is surely a huge and growing market for quick, practical and comfortable bikes which can carry luggage and pillion, cope with bad roads and still have enough performance to bring a smile behind the visor.

If I were in R & D at Triumph, I'd be looking to make very minor mods to the the existing Tiger 1200 overall, but crucially re branding it completely as a sports-tourer;  perhaps giving it a little more protection, purely road going wheels and tyres, lowering the C of G  a touch - and aiming squarely at the serious touring market, riders who really have no interest in the  biking equivalent of  wallowing in mud,  like a bunch of easily-influenced hippos.

I'd also sponsor a prime-time TV series called 'The Even Longer Way Round' where Triumph-riding celebrities (how about Bear Grylls and the pop star Pink? .. or Bradley Cooper with Alanis Morissette) take the new bike around the planet, whilst studiously avoiding all dirt roads.

Triumph may as well do something radical - if Boris's EU negotiating team fails, then a tariff on UK goods means they're stuffed anyway.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:35:17 AM by mcchoc »

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
If Triumph really wanted to build a dedicated sport/touring bike, I would think that they would be better off putting a half fairing and panniers on a Street Triple.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:08:41 PM by CaptainTrips »

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
If Triumph really wanted to build a dedicated sport/touring bike, I would think that they would be better off putting a half fairing and panniers on a Street Triple.

I hear what you're saying Captain, but I can't see a 765 cc bike catapulting a big lad like myself - plus my exaggeratedly curvaceous pillion and our bursting panniers  - up an Alpine pass anytime soon, at least not with the same panache with which the  1215 lump does . .

Online jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2020, 07:29:32 PM »
The trouble with the traditional sports tourer market these days is that it's shrunken down so small and BMW has it covered too with the R1250RS & RT.

There aren't enough well healed people who don't like Boxer twins for anyone else to get that much of a look in to the "sports tourer" or "big adventure bike" sectors.  :003: Basically, Triumph, KTM, Ducati at al are just squabbling over the crumbs off the captains table.

@mcchoc : I think Captain T might have meant to say Speed Triple  :016:

Online Benchmark

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2020, 07:30:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcchoc [+]
I hear what you're saying Captain, but I can't see a 765 cc bike catapulting a big lad like myself - plus my exaggeratedly curvaceous pillion and our bursting panniers  - up an Alpine pass anytime soon, at least not with the same panache with which the  1215 lump does . .

And then there's those lazy people like me who want shaft drive in a bike  :002:

Recent Topics