Author Topic: New gen 4 is on it's way ....  (Read 18359 times)

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Re: New gen 4 is on it's way ....
Reply #150 on: January 27, 2021, 03:53:11 PM
*Originally Posted by NorthumBryan [+]
One of the many things I picked up along the way, most of which are not terribly useful in everyday life... Electrical formulae is not terribly useful; I remember studying how to work out the luminous flux in a room when one of the lads piped up and said 'just fit a 100w bulb and a dimmer switch'. It can just be that simple.

:464: :0461: Whenever possible use the KISS method...
Jon

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #151 on: January 27, 2021, 03:57:45 PM
*Originally Posted by NorthumBryan [+]
One of the many things I picked up along the way, most of which are not terribly useful in everyday life... Electrical formulae is not terribly useful; I remember studying how to work out the luminous flux in a room when one of the lads piped up and said 'just fit a 100w bulb and a dimmer switch'. It can just be that simple.
  :008: yes, takes a practical man to spot the obvious.  :047:

I learnt all about Laplace Transforms in Applied Maths while doing my Engineering Degree, I didn't know what the f*** I was doing at the time and I still don't know what it was about! I always remember the lecturer saying "Imagine we have a problem we can't solve with traditional maths, we take it to a magic Alice in Wonderland world of Laplace Transforms to solve the equation and then bring it back to the real world to finalise the problem", at which point my brain exploded.  :087:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #152 on: January 27, 2021, 05:49:14 PM
I will be totally disappointed if the gen 4 does not break 200 hp (said the guy with a 24 hp Himalayan)  :164:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline chris1982

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Reply #153 on: January 27, 2021, 07:48:23 PM
I see no reason why the new Speed triple engine shouldn't be used as-is in terms off cc's for the next Tiger. I know that generally engines get a slight increase in size, however Ducati knocked off 100cc with the new Multistrada V4, so Triumph could conceivably do the same and realistically aim for that Ducati (and KTM) with the new Tiger, instead of trying to win against BMW, which is not realistic. I've just seen the new KTM 1290 Adventure in MCN and that is the bike that I will be comparing the next Tiger with, the previous version of the KTM was a bit too tall for me but now they have lowered the seat, and with the significant weight advantage over the Tiger, I think that's the competition now, for me at least.

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: OTex Gen1 Phantom
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #154 on: January 27, 2021, 09:47:34 PM
I would agree with that chris1982...
In Australia, the Ducati Multistrada 1260 Enduro(2018-19) and the KTM Super Adventure R (2018-19-20) ... are the current weapons of choice.. The BMW GS & GSA are just like trees , they are just part of the Scenery.. That common. But has had issues in Production quality for the last couple a years..  These Brands are far better supported .. By things like Australian BMW Safari, KTM Australia Rallye, Ducati D-A-R-E... Even the Yamaha Tenere Tragics...
The Triumph Tiger 1200  doesn't rate a look in...(sales Figures).
So its not the price to Purchase... or the Cost of owning these bikes that people Consider.. But the Support of the Product (Bike..). The Aus Triumph Importer has "Consolidated" (read "shrunk") the Sales and Support for Triumph Brand..
Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #155 on: January 27, 2021, 10:53:25 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I was thinking the same thing pcarnut. Maybe Triumph have managed to avoid adding cc's as it is a whole new engine. If they can get this to meet Euro 5 at 180PS I'm sure they will have no problem churning out a 140PS-160PS shaftie with a little more emphasis on lower down torque.
Ayup, change the cam profile a little for more mid-range and I'd be more than happy with those numbers.  I see they also simplified the TFT readout and got away from the video arcade display with dueling tach readouts. :164: 
Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:55:42 PM by pcarnut
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline mototopo67

• Explorer Member
  • live to ride
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Monteveglio
Reply #156 on: February 02, 2021, 05:20:26 PM
Presentation in July ... they say

Offline mototopo67

• Explorer Member
  • live to ride
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Monteveglio

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #158 on: February 11, 2021, 01:57:33 PM
Well that would actually be downsizing in term of displacement!
Don't know how you could improve low end torque while downsizing...

nonskid