Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 1200 frame compatibility  (Read 631 times)

Offline LoftyBloke

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Fareham
Tiger 1200 frame compatibility
« on: February 24, 2020, 09:23:22 PM »
Hello all,

I bought a 3rd gen Tiger in Nov last year and foolishly failed to take advantage of the pannier offer ... I now need panniers and have some but no frames. I've been offered a frame set for a 2018 Tiger 1200 ..

Should they fit and when did the 3rd generation start in the UK ? apologies for the seemingly daft question but I'm finding varying answers online and I'd rather not make a mistake ..

Thanks in advance

Offline bazthebike

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: xcx 17/blue
  • City / Town: southwest
Re: Tiger 1200 frame compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 08:00:04 AM »
Hi, gen 3 is 2018 onwards. gen3 bikes have led headlights. I have gen 2 and I think the panniers are the same. before you fit the rails check out the givi ones that sit the boxes lower and further back, but you will need to swap out the catches alloy piece on each rail at the top.

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Pro
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa '69
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
Gen 2 and 3 panniers are the same bar the locks mechanism - gen 2 have an offset key and gen 3 have a central key and the lock barrels are VERY slightly a different size!  Triumph can supply new barrel holders if required (be careful not to drop all the lock plates and tiny springs out!!!!!)

The panniers are triumph branded givi boxes and the givi rail sit lower and further back which many people prefer if carrying pillions - if not there may be some cheap triumph ones about from those who have swapped.
TTruckie

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:37:49 AM »
The MK2 and MK3 are the same frames. Check out GIVI boxes as they may be cheaper on the net, unless Triumph are doing a deal. Depends if you want the triumph logo on them.    As already said If your riding 2 up you might want to look at the GIVI branded frames that are listed for Mk3 T12 as they move the panniers back and down a bit . My OH found it impossible to get on the bike with the triumph supplied frames . The locking mech from the triumph frames will need to be swapped over as well.  :028:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:40:37 AM by SimonTEX »

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 04:10:11 PM »
Ill just add a word of caution as there may be issues with a different frame fouling the OEM exhaust, I have a smaller scorpion can so its not a problem for me but I did hear someone else had issues , cant remember where I read it.

Offline tiger955

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Barwell
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »
Check out Shad, amazing value and quality

Recent Topics

nonskid