Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Temptation being put in my way  (Read 1184 times)

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Temptation being put in my way
« on: February 29, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
So my 2015 is in for an annual service and MOT today. Only managed 5500 since muddy sump did the 30000 last March so no need for any thing else.

Finally gave in to temptation and my dealer lent me this for the day

Have to say, enjoyed the ride and yes its a better package than mine but 4 things knock it back 1 of which was a surprise to me

1. Those OEM tyres are sh#te compared to road 5's
2 Heated grips really are poor compared to my Gen 1
3 same can be said for the heated seat - barely feel the heat on either whereas on my bike I have to turn them down
As I said nothing new here
4 I'm only 5'9" and have to have the seat on the low setting. With the touring (tall) screen the only place where I could tolerate the reduced buffeting was at the highest setting. 
Found this disappointing as I'd hoped to be able to set it at different heights for temperature.

Could I be tempted more? Yes, but that would depend on valuations and difference to change
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Temptation being put in my way
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 02:17:23 PM »
I find the heated grips and seat pretty ineffective too. They work but aren’t great. Did you feel any difference in the motor?

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »
I too find the heated seats/grips not as good as my Gen-1, but they still work well enough.

I traded my tall touring windshield for the standard sized one, with a buddy who'd bought an XRx.    I'm also 5'9", and didn't like that too tall screen. 
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 04:26:56 PM »
Hi All

Not sure I can really comment on the heated seat on my Gen3 but the grips certainly seem to work ok and I've got grip puppies fitted!

Simmo
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with TPMS, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, and Givi Trekker Outback 58L Top Box.

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Did you feel any difference in the motor?

Not really no. I have the arrow can on mine so no difference there. Rode it in sport and road modes and couldn't really tell any difference in response on wet roads.
Suspension was good but I reckon my Nitron shock is on a par with it all be it that I have to adjust it manually
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:39:00 PM »
Well that dream was well and truly destroyed.

A one only brand new unregistered XCA in matt green with the full works package currently offered with black instead of silver luggage for £15650

Nice, yes please, how much to change?

£11300  :232: :232: :232: :232:  :005: :005: :005:

Um, think I'll leave it and ride the nuts off mine
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Scoby

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: White Tex
  • City / Town: Wexford
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »
That's a crazy price to change, leave it till later when they are clearing the last Gen 3 models.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 07:57:34 AM »
I did the same last year with my fast edition 2012 bluey but couldn’t see the value in changing - maybe the new version might be enough of a change and I may have won the lottery by then
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
That trade-in price is pitiful. There's a lesson for us all here...……..hold on to them to get your money's worth. Given that valuation I would be tempted never to take it to the dealer again, just service it yourself. Any dealer service history seems pretty pointless given that depreciation, it's not going to make any difference to the resale price now. Just keep the oil and filter receipts and that will satisfy and new owner a few years from now (well it would me).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:04:32 AM by XCaTel »

Offline davi7488

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Mrk 3 XCA
  • City / Town: York
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 10:06:31 AM »
I traded in my 2015 mark 1 with 16k on the clock at my local dealer last September for a brand new XCA with the complementary panniers.

My bike went for 6k and had some decent farkles on it, XCA list price was £17100 but I negotiated 2k off list and then I took the triumph pcp finance as that gave me another 1k deposit contribution. I paid the finance for 3 months as the dealer would get penalised if I paid it off straightaway - settled the bill with triumph finance after payment 3.

All in all I got a spanking brand new mark 3 XCA for £14100 with me paying just over 8k and handing over my mark 1. 

It was the 5th bike in a row I have bought from the dealer and the 4th brand new one. I always have main dealer service irrelevant of warranty, I always have them fit any aftermarket gear for me and I have a good relationship with the owner.

Personally  at the end of the day I was happy with the deal and that's all that really counts  :028:

Recent Topics