Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wire wheel warranty?  (Read 2368 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Wire wheel warranty?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 04:20:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
:745: Your take on "old bikes" makes me feel extremely ancient! Maybe I should toddle down the clinic and get myself carbon dated?

I don't think Triumph lacquered until the Hinckley revival? And certainly my none of my 60s or 70s Brit &r Italian bikes were ever lacquered.
I guess my point was that lacquering of engine cases is not new. I did manage to make a mess of my CB450 cases by trying to polish them, and in the process, subsequently removed some of the lacquer. And once you start to do that, you are committed...  :003:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »
Blimey talk about subject matter drift  :450: Ha ha.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
Blimey talk about subject matter drift  :450: Ha ha.
:431:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 05:12:19 PM »
No worries. None at all. The question had been answered really. It's just when other people search for the same thing they're going to have to filter out all of the stuff about lacquer. Some theads do of course meander a litle but this was intedned to be specifically about wire wheels and warranty.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 06:57:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
No worries. None at all. The question had been answered really. It's just when other people search for the same thing they're going to have to filter out all of the stuff about lacquer. Some theads do of course meander a litle but this was intedned to be specifically about wire wheels and warranty.
FYI, there is a sub-forum on Warranty Claims and Recalls:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/board,27.0.html

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »
Ooh ta. missed that one.

Offline AndyB333

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Crystal White 17 Xcx
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
I brought this up on my first annual service as the bike was immaculate but the spokes were a mess( the bike had never seen rain and were wiped down with Vulcanet wipes after every ride.. Triumph came back that the finish on the spokes were nickle plated and was classed as a "sacrificial coating" so basically they didnt want to know..

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Member
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
I changed my Gen 1 spoked wheels for secondhand alloys (surprisingly difficult to find even individually), it's a straight forward sway and would work for Gen 2 bike too I'm assuming.

Only thing to be aware of is the spoked wheel sits 5-10mm further to the right and if you have a spoke wheel specific hugger, the alloy wheel may well rub on the hugger - some manufacturers will supply different fitting kits if necessary.

The whole spoked heel design seems flawed to me when you look at newer bikes wheel designs.

Good Luck
Andy
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Keeper of the outrageous paint job!
  • Bike: '13 Gen 1, from new
  • City / Town: Liskeard
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 01:38:22 PM »
That’s the really silly thing about certainly the early spoked wheels, in that they are all dished to one side, so that the front and rear wheels were never inline!

Recent Topics

nonskid