Author Topic: Fog light lens adjustment?  (Read 998 times)

Offline buttonmoon

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 18'
  • City / Town: Hove
Fog light lens adjustment?
on: March 08, 2020, 08:45:04 PM
Hi All,
Anyone know how to adjust the fog light lenses? While cleaning the gen 3 yesterday I noticed that one of the lenses isn't straight. What's involved to be able to sort it?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Benchmark

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline buttonmoon

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 18'
  • City / Town: Hove
Re: Fog light lens adjustment?
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 08:57:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. So it's a known fault? I'll have to have a proper look next weekend.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:06:23 AM
If "known fault" means "NiK already had it", then yes it is ;-)

My ugly two cents repair worked a treat though and one year later my (horribly expensive and ill-designed) Triumph foglights are straight as a connecting rod ;-)

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Pro
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa '69
  • City / Town: Swindon
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 06:23:52 PM
no no no - that's not a design fault - that's Triumph's special 'lean angle' fog feature :745:
TTruckie

Offline Taff50ish

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2019 XRT
  • City / Town: Watford
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 06:27:22 PM
Hi all,

New here, but seen this thread and just thought I would mention since I've had this Gen3, the front Fogs have been nothing but a pain. They both self rotate as explained here (and on the other threads mentioned). I had a friend following me a few weeks ago and he was telling me they were moving all over the place, he thought my cornering lights were playing up. Also the beam is just a flat line, un-like the Gen2 accessory lights, as these where a nice spot come flood, much better. I'm going to try this fix mentioned with the rear & front bolt, maybe with a washer thrown in for good measurement...

This is just another problem in a list of issues on the newer Gen3. The new heated seats on this bike are nothing like the Gen2 I had before this and the Sat Nav mount below the bars, hiden behind the Tank Bag, I feel like I've actually down graded a few years...  :187: :187: :187: A shame as I do love the bike overall... Cheers for now...

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 11:22:23 PM
It would seem like not all Tigers are built the same, or else I've just been lucky.

On reading this, I went and looked at my fog light lenses.  They are perfectly horizontal, and I can't rotate them by hand.  (I didn't have fog lights on my gen1.)
My heated seats work fine and have never played up.
My home-made GPS mount works a treat, and puts my Garmin Zumo at just the right position above the dash.  (But yes, it was simpler mounting it on the gen1 screen bar.)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 09:14:51 AM
I think that the way the foglights were bolted on has an effect on the lens rotation.
If too much torque was applied, it could stress the plastic casing, thus causing the whole lens part to move.

So yes, this is a bad design (again) that is worsened by bad mechs/dealers (or bad documentation).

Recent Topics

nonskid