Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 1200 height options  (Read 1039 times)

Offline knapdog

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Barry
Tiger 1200 height options
« on: March 16, 2020, 04:28:09 PM »
I'm 5'9" with an inside leg of 30" and find most adventure bikes too tall.
I have to have my feet flat on the floor on any bike and was pleasantly surprised when I sat on a Tiger 1200 Special Edition today in Bevan's, Cardiff.
But whilst the balls of my feet were looking good, my heels were still around an inch off the floor with the seat in its lowest setting.
So, do I go for the XRx Low?
I know the XRt would be a nicer buy due to the extras and I could, I suppose, get a lower seat which is 20mm lower than the 835mm seat setting.
Another option is having the XRt lowered by 20mm plus having the low comfort seat as well.
What are your expert views on my dilemma, please? They would be much appreciated.

Stay between the hedges!

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Re: Tiger 1200 height options
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:51:27 PM »
Maybe look at a 2nd hand Gen XRt, which has all the options except TFT screen and quickshifter and keyless system.
I had mine lowered 40 mm and the main stand shortened.
Extensive info here on the forum:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17208.msg204001.html#msg204001
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline chris1982

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:40:46 PM »
I'm only 5'7" with a 30" inside leg and I've had no problems with the height on a standard '19 XRX. Before I test rode one I too was under the impression that the height/weight of the bike would be a problem for me but oddly it has been the opposite. I had a Tiger Sport previously and although the seat on that was slightly lower, the 1200 feels easier to manhandle. I think this is because the XRX bars and frame are slightly higher than the Sport which means my arms are at a different angle when pushing it around, closer to 90 degrees relative to my body, which means I use less force to push the bike, even though it is ~25kg heavier. On the road, I don't notice the height or weight, although I am careful where I park up in case a slope catches me out.

Personally the low model or getting a standard one lowered never entered my mind, mostly because it will significantly affect the resale value. I also test rode a 1250GS the same day as the 1200 which felt lower and a lot lighter but the price difference couldn't be justified in my view. The new 900 is meant to be considerably lower/lighter if you do think it may be an issue but I like the bigger engine for touring.

Offline knapdog

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 08:08:21 PM »
Thank you.
Personally I won't entertain anything where I can't get myfeet fully down, as I said.
On the xrt, today, I only had the balls of my feet down.
Last year in Spain on the cb1300, which has a seat height about 790mm, there were times on wet cobbled streets in hilltop villages with reverse cambers where I had to get my left foot down quickly and the ground wasn't there due to a gutter, dip or drain in the uneven surfaces.
A few times I just managed to save the bike. I'm not worried about the Tiger's weight as even the cb1300 was 271kg.
What I am concerned about is the height and being in control in tricky situations. If I was just commuting back and fore to work on it then there would never be a problem.
I'm now retired and will be doing more touring once the coronavirus epidemic has passed, obviously.
For the last six months I've been researching what my next bike will be and in the last day or two I've become really excited about this big Triumph.
Oh and while I'm at it, I've had two R1200RT's and will never buy another BMW due to reliability issues, but that's another story  :008:
So, to get back to my dilemma, I really need to find a XRx low somewhere and sit on one. Similarly, I need to sit on a XRt with a low seat.
I don't think lowering a XRt is the way forward.
Btw, how is the XRx actually low? Is it just a lowered suspension or is the frame different as well?
Thanks again for your help.

Stay between the hedges!

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:50:22 PM »
@knapdog I went through the same dilemna as you when I bought my Gen-2 XRX-Low, I really wanted the XRT, but was right up on the balls of my feet, in the end I went for the Low and have since never regretted it, being able now to sit with my feet nicely planted.

First I disagree with the comment above made by chris1982 that buying a Low version "will affect resale value". Since buying mine new in 2016, I've monitored the price against standard XRX's and there is no appreciable difference at all IMO.

So putting that to one side. Your question about frame or lowered suspension. The frames are the same across all models, the Low versions have different suspension units, both forks and rear suspension. What the Low doesn't have is a mainstand, why I don't know, Triumph must have their reasons, however I bought and modified a mainstand (I can point you at the thread if you buy a Low and want to do same) and have no issues at all.

The one thing I will say about the Low is having the lower centre of gravity it actually handles a little better than the "standard" machine, being a little more flickable. And having ridden my mates Gen-2 XRT which is fitted with a 40mm lowering kit and has raised the forks in the yokes (yo lower the front end) , I have to say the difference is quite noticeable, maybe I'm biased, but given that the 2 machines are (arguably) the same height (with the XRT having the lowering kit), I much prefer the ride on my XRX-Low, smoother, comfortable and more progressive (with the suspension set to the same settings on the TSAS).

And there one has to mention the TSAS. Be aware on any of the Gen-2 or -3 machines that the electronic suspension will alter the height of the machine quite substantially - on a standard (non-Low) machine I find if I have it in hardest sport mode then I'm on tip-toe, put it in the lowest off-road mode and I'm not only flat footed but bending knees as well. On my XRX-Low, I run one setting above normal which gives a good ride and I can still flat foot when stopped.

Its all horses for courses really, the Low version is, IMO, a very under-rated version of the Tex, which many seem to shy away from. But trust me, if you are short in the leg, you really won't regret it. I've never once in nearly 4 years of ownership regretted my decision.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 02:54:17 AM »
Here's my 2 cents.  I'm 5'10", 31" inseam, so slightly longer legs, but, was feeling a little uncomfortable sometimes at stops.  I did two things and am now very comfortable with it.  First I installed a lowering kit which is a very easy install and includes the small arm that tells the suspension (2018 XRT) when to adjust rear preload.  Second, I removed the rear seat adjustment bar so the rear of the seat rests on the frame (put some rubber material on the frame to prevent chaffing the paint).  This helped not only making it easier to touch feet down, but actually made the seat more comfortable since it previously had a slight tendency to make me slide forward.  HTH
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 02:30:27 PM »
I'm 6ft but somewhere around 29"-30" leg. If I had my time again, I would purchase the XRx Low (plus quick-shifter) instead of the XCa I have. I love the XCa style but did lower it 20mm. Personally I think the XRx is better value for money compared to the XRt too. I have test ridden the XRx low over a day, it was the dealer’s salesman’s bike. You just felt you were sitting in it a little more, but every other experience was the same. Loaded up with luggage the benefits are even better I'm sure. It's a lot of money to drop, test drive if you can.

Just out of interest the new 900 Rally has a higher seat again over the T12, yikes!

Offline knapdog

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 02:52:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I'm 6ft but somewhere around 29"-30" leg. If I had my time again, I would purchase the XRx Low (plus quick-shifter) instead of the XCa I have. I love the XCa style but did lower it 20mm. Personally I think the XRx is better value for money compared to the XRt too. I have test ridden the XRx low over a day, it was the dealer’s salesman’s bike. You just felt you were sitting in it a little more, but every other experience was the same. Loaded up with luggage the benefits are even better I'm sure. It's a lot of money to drop, test drive if you can.

Just out of interest the new 900 Rally has a higher seat again over the T12, yikes!

Your views are much appreciated (and your videos).
I certainly, up to now, have felt that I'll regret it if I don't go for the XRt just because it has the lot, but I also have to listen to people's suggestions.
I tend to do a lot of research before buying any bike. To me it's all part of the fun.
I've now had a number of replies from members with the same inside leg and the same problem with the height of the standard bike.
Flat footing is absolutely essential imo. Never mind dips in the road when you stop, even in your own drive, if you step on a solitary piece of gravel it acts like a ball bearing and is disconcerting to put it mildly.
I would be buying second hand but nearly new (not ex demo) and could wait until late August for the right one.
I've got a feeling the Gen 4 may be out in autumn so there may even be deals on the new though I resent giving the tax man the 20% vat.
I've also noticed that there's the Alpine XRx with the Arrow and Quickshifter. Does it come in the Low?
So in the space of a day or two I've narrowed it down to XRt with 20mm lowering kit or XRx Low.
So you are deadly serious about getting the XRx Low with Quickshifter if you had your time over again!?!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:57:24 PM by knapdog »
Stay between the hedges!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
So you are deadly serious about getting the XRx Low with Quickshifter if you had your time over again!?!

Yes, 100%. You are getting a drop of 50mm over standard I think it is, I wouldn't hesitate to go low. Those new special editions don't have a low option unfortunately.

Offline Benchmark

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 03:35:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
I've got a feeling the Gen 4 may be out in autumn so there may even be deals on the new though I resent giving the tax man the 20% vat.

My dealer told me this week given the new models already released don't expect the Gen4 until next year some time in his opinion.

Recent Topics