Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?  (Read 1355 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gwilym

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
  • Outdoor Education Specialist
  • Bike: Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Bridgwater, Somerset
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 09:58:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by organaphus [+]
In my experience, brand reliability is a difficult fact to prove. I have known people purchase the same bike at the same time, and have totally different experiences. One may prove perfectly reliable, the other, a complete nightmare.

 :0461: :0461: :0461:

In this day and age, do we actually buy based on rumours of reliability or do we buy because we fall in love with the look/engine/tech (delete as appropriate)

ie, I like Adventure Bikes (hence I have a Tiger) but even if BMW were 100% reliable I would still not buy a GS as I think they are Fugly and the engine is boring.
Bike History: (in no particular order)
Honda: XLR 125, VFR 800, NTV 650, Transalp 650, Africa Twin 750, Varadero 1000;
KTM: 250 exc;                       Suzuki: RMX 250;
Triumph: Tiger 955i, Trophy 900, Tiger XRX 800, Explorer XCA; 
Yamaha: TZR 125,  FZR 600, XT660Z Tenere;

Offline knapdog

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 24
  • City / Town: Barry
  • Country: Wales
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by organaphus [+]
In my experience, brand reliability is a difficult fact to prove. I have known people purchase the same bike at the same time, and have totally different experiences. One may prove perfectly reliable, the other, a complete nightmare.

You're not far wrong but in my experience some are definitely better than others. I've had most brands apart from Harley Davidson and I must say I have never had an unreliable Honda.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1249
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 04:33:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
You're not far wrong but in my experience some are definitely better than others. I've had most brands apart from Harley Davidson and I must say I have never had an unreliable Honda.
And yet my newly purchased 2016 Africa Twin had rotting spokes, a hopeless front screen, an absolutely awful throttle at low speeds (corrected with a "Rapid Bike Easy") and a wholly inadequate rear spring rate for its rated loading. It never let me down and the bike had many great attributes but i wasn't overly impressed with its quality. I did get the feeling the engine would probably run forever though.

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4870
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 12:33:55 AM »
If Honda had been selling the Cross Tourer in Canada when I bought the TEX, I would likely have gone with the Honda. Having said that, I have not regretted buying the TEX.

My experience with the R1100R was obviously exasperated by the age of the bike and the number of miles on it. But what bothered me more was the fact that several of the issues that I had to deal with on that bike, were the result of poor design which BMW themselves never acknowledged, even though they were common problems for many owners.

Still, if I was riding more off-pavement and/or two-up, I would prefer a GS over anything else that I have ridden to date.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online jannerman

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 136
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
  • Country: UK
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 12:43:16 AM »
I'm with @Gwilym, life's too short to ride Fugly bikes and the BM's have that in spades! the reliability stuff is just too random. :001:

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4870
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 05:20:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by jannerman [+]
I'm with @Gwilym, life's too short to ride Fugly bikes and the BM's have that in spades! the reliability stuff is just too random. :001:
Once you try Fugly, you won't go back. At least, that's what my wife says.  :015:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline knapdog

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 24
  • City / Town: Barry
  • Country: Wales
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 08:22:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
And yet my newly purchased 2016 Africa Twin had rotting spokes, a hopeless front screen, an absolutely awful throttle at low speeds (corrected with a "Rapid Bike Easy") and a wholly inadequate rear spring rate for its rated loading. It never let me down and the bike had many great attributes but i wasn't overly impressed with its quality. I did get the feeling the engine would probably run forever though.
You're right about the spokes although that has now been sorted.
The problem for the Africa Twin for me is that I think they're ugly.  I could never have one in the garage.
A pal of mine used to have a BMW R1200C. You must have seen them. They're a sort of cruiser and one was in a James Bond film.
Love it or loathe it, I thought it looked gorgeous. The problem with it was the chrome came in two parts. Half of it on the bike and half of it on the floor!  :008:
I even went to a local BMW dealer and said I was thinking of getting one. The salesman's reply was simple. "Don't!"
I
Stay between the hedges!

Offline D16PJM

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 38
  • Bike: 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Sidcup
  • Country: UK
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 12:22:20 PM »
I like the BMW but i don't know if anyone watches teapot-one on you tube, took a brand new R1250GSA out for a 48hr test and it didn't end well, may be a one off but not a great advert.


Pete

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1249
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by D16PJM [+]
I like the BMW but i don't know if anyone watches teapot-one on you tube, took a brand new R1250GSA out for a 48hr test and it didn't end well, may be a one off but not a great advert.


Pete
Yes, I had posted this video on the forum some time ago and had a chuckle. But I can't point fingers, my 2018 Tiger was off the road for 60 days straight while Triumph tried to find out whay was wrong with it under warranty, it had a total electrical shutdown. Before that it had the exhasut and centrestand replaced for the poor exhaust assemblry/design fault. My battery lasted 2 years until it was trashed but was not covered under warranty which is only 12 months. I have not owned a huge quantity of bikes, maybe 12 or so, Suzukis (2), Hondas (4) Yamaha (1) James (1) Triumph (2) Harley (2) and I'm sure one or two more I've forgotten. My Tiger has by far been the most unreliable of them all and most of them had points and a condenser! But passing time cures all ills, I wouldn't say I'd never buy a Triumph again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:47:19 PM by XCaTel »

Offline vsteel

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 406
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
  • Country: USA
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 04:06:11 PM »
Never seen Fortnine give a bad review before.
 

 


Recent Topics