Author Topic: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?  (Read 3228 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: BMW motorcycles. Reliable or Unreliable?
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 04:09:04 PM
I know, he was brutal!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 06:38:53 PM
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
A pal of mine used to have a BMW R1200C. You must have seen them. They're a sort of cruiser and one was in a James Bond film.
Love it or loathe it, I thought it looked gorgeous. The problem with it was the chrome came in two parts. Half of it on the bike and half of it on the floor!  :008:
I even went to a local BMW dealer and said I was thinking of getting one. The salesman's reply was simple. "Don't!"
That and they ate gearbox input shaft splines.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
  • Both proudly built in Hinckley 👍
  • Bike: '13 Gn.1+’15 Trophy
  • City / Town: Liskeard
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 04:00:42 PM
*Originally Posted by anthonyp0808 [+]
OK I can hear it already - that's because BMWs are unreliable.  Or could it be because BMW have confidence in their reliability?

The answer is neither  :038:

It’s all down to a combination of how much of the purchase price of the product the manufacturer is prepared to allocate to future warranty claims, how much of the costs of those claims can be met by the suppliers of the faulty components and how much benefit the extended warranty will give in supporting sales and residual values of the product. Naturally, the sales person will always say that “it’s down to the confidence that the manufacturer has in its product”.

Of course, it’s always helpful that any costs associated with a longer warranty are being pushed forward into the distant future; it’s like the manufacturer taking out an interest free loan on every bike sold.

There’s no right answer here; in the car world, it’s certainly helped Kia, the purveyors of economy Korean 💩 boxes, leave that market far behind and move up to the big league.

Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:05:11 PM by redmerle
2013 to date: 2013 Tiger 1200 &
2020 to date: 2015 Trophy 1200
And always a Land Rover / Range Rover of some sort 😁

nonskid