Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: In these troubled times ...the CV thread  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: In these troubled times ...the CV thread
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »

*Originally Posted by KenW [+]

:0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Jaeger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 02:14:50 AM »
Maybe if we stopped eating and abusing all the the other sentinel beings on this planet we might stand a chance.
Fear and greed the two biggest human motivators.

Good luck every one, and peace on earth. 

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 11:18:14 AM »
If you have had panic buying of essentials where you live in the world like we have had in the UK it may be prudent to remind people

4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
Yep, in the supermarkets here, no rice, flour, sugar or toilet paper on the shelves.  Haven't looked for duct tape.
The stupid thing is that Australia produces all those things in quantity, though rice production has been hammered by drought.
Its the just-in-time supply lines that have failed, with all the panic buying.
My goto cheap ground coffee (Harris) has disappeared off the shelves too.
On the plus side, we haven't had fuel this cheap for many years.  But its now illegal to be out in groups of more than 2, with everyone not working away, advised to stay home.
At least solo rides are still possible (so far).  Except I'm in the 'high risk' age group.  I think I'm not supposed to even poke my head out the door. :003:

My daughter the air-hostess (sorry... cabin crew), now has a low paid job at Woolworths, at night, filling online orders for delivery.
If she lasts the distance, she will get very fit, but not rich.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
I have noticed the wheat berries are even all gone.  Several stores around here sell 5 gallon buckets of them.  It makes me wonder how many have a grain mill to deal with them or if they were just planning on some kind of boil them until they are soft plan.   I just wonder because I have a couple of grain mills as I like baking my own bread (been doing this for years) and I buy the 5 gallon buckets and even baking a lot of bread those buckets last a pretty long time.

Maybe they are going to use them as a replacement for gum.   Growing up on a ranch/farm when harvesting the wheat fields you could reach back on the combine (older one without a cab) and grab a handful of wheat and pop it in your mouth.  As you left it in the wheat berries would go from hard to soft to a mush and then start to form a gum.  (The gluten kicked in. )

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
That's something else that disappeared from the supermarket shelves!
I make my own bread in a machine.  (I recommend the Panasonic bread maker, best I've had from quite a few.)
I buy a couple of different premixes, 10kg bags, made by a local miller (Laucke) because it makes it easy, and tastes good.
They sell in local shops in bags of 10kg down to 0.5kg, at higher unit price the smaller the lot.  (25kg if you go further afield.)
A week back, I was amazed to find that ALL the bread mix was gone from the supermarket shelves!  So every size, of every different type (of many) had sold out.
The small packets would have been quite expensive compared to a bought loaf of bread.

Crazy.  Some people are crazy.
Stores are rationing things like toilet paper, flour etc, to one pack per customer.  You'd think that would only happen in times of war or some such.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 09:41:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Stores are rationing things like toilet paper, flour etc, to one pack per customer.  You'd think that would only happen in times of war or some such.
Officials here are actually calling it a war. The government has not quite decided that it needs to invoke the War Measures Act just yet (now called the Emergencies Act) but they are close to it. The PM tried to add some riders to the recently passed emergency funding act that would have given him and his cabinet full powers to invoke and pass any legislation for the next 2 years without recalling parliament at all (the opposition went crazy and they withdrew that part of the bill).

Experts are saying that we really need to socially isolate until there is a vaccine, or risk a second and third wave. That could be another year++. People are freaking out.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 11:15:53 PM »
The governor of Michigan recently clarified that going out for a car or motorcycle ride for recreation isn’t currently allowed. The prior statement of recreational biking being allowed left a little room for creative interpretation, though it was pretty obvious that it was bicycling that’s allowed amongst other outside forms of exercise, subject to 6’ distancing. I have over 230 miles on the mountain bike this month. Nice to be working from home socially distanced in a state park!
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 07:53:22 PM »
Week three of voluntary sequestering begins. Some random observations and obsessions (dark and otherwise):

+ I have stopped carrying my wallet and wearing my wristwatch. Neither seems useful right now, and the watch gets in the way of thorough handwashing.

+ Latitude 50 white wine seems to go rather well with popcorn.

+ My wife and I have been sleeping in separate beds for the past month because we have both had colds and coughs (not COVID-19 related) and are slightly paranoid. And I am beginning to enjoy having a full queen-sized bed to myself.

+ The new TP rule at our house is one square for pee, two for poo.

+ I catch myself wondering if I should just go down to the hospital and infect myself so that I can get it over with while the medical services are still functioning.

+ Paper towels make better snot rags because you can use them several times before they get disgusting.

+ I am measuring my life in fingernail growth and toothpaste tube shrinkage.

+ Vinyl Voyage Radio (an internet radio station) has weekly special programs, where they play an entire K-Tel album with commentary. Highly recommended.

+ I can order a wooden ship model kit from GB cheaper than I get buy one in CA or US.  An HMS Terror model should be here on Wed. Also, I highly recommend Michael Palin's book 'Erebus' which is the twinship to the Terror, both of which were part of the doomed Franklin expedition. Did you know that Michael Palin was president of the Royal Geographical Society? A big career change from Monty Python's Flying Circus. But then, he always was a writer.

+ Have developed a new interest in left-overs. It reduces the need to make trips to the grocery store.

+ It is a little disturbing watching people press themselves up against a parked car or cross the street to get away from you when you are out walking on a sunny afternoon -- even when you are more than 2m away.

+ I can't stop looking at the Google COVID-19 map. It updates every few minutes:  https://google.com/covid19-map/?hl=en

+ The Zoom meeting app is a surprisingly useful tool for keeping in touch with people. And it is free. My niece has started doing fitness classes for a group of family and friends. My daughter uses it for group chats with friends. We used it to have a virtual dinner party Friday night.

+ I've started noticing purpose-made, highly produced product advertisements on TV that directly address COVID-19 related issues, including car companies, grocery stores, travel companies, food delivery services, etc.

+ My investment statements are sitting unopened on my desk.

+ If you run out of jigsaw puzzles, for a challenge, you can turn them face down and do them again.

+ The refrigerator always picks the most inconvenient time to quit working. Fortunately, we have a second frig. Parts are on order.

+ I tried phoning Fedex today and have repeatedly got a "network busy" error on my phone.

+ I have not insured either motorcycle, because I suspect that the moment I do, the gov will announce mandatory seclusion rules. No sense in wasting money.

+ Lately, I have been happy when it is cold and raining because it keeps people indoors.

+ You find a lot of stuff you forgot you had when you start rearranging the garage and tool crib.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:08:14 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 08:11:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Week three of voluntary sequestering begins. Some random observations and obsessions (dark and otherwise):

+ I have stopped carrying my wallet and wearing my wristwatch. Neither seems useful right now, and the watch gets in the way of thorough handwashing.

+ Latitude 50 white wine seems to go rather well with popcorn.

+ My wife and I have been sleeping in separate beds for the past month because we have both had colds and coughs (not COVID-19 related) and are slightly paranoid. And I am beginning to enjoy having a full queen-sized be to myself.

+ The new TP rule at our house is one square for pee, two for poo.

+ I catch myself wondering if I should just go down to the hospital and infect myself so that I can get it over with while the medical services are still functioning.

+ Paper towels make better snot rags because you can use them several times before they get disgusting.

+ I am measuring my life in fingernail growth and toothpaste tube shrinkage.

+ Vinyl Voyage Radio (an internet radio station) has weekly special programs, where they play an entire K-Tel album with commentary. Highly recommended.

+ I can order a wooden ship model kit from GB cheaper than I get buy one in CA or US.  An HMS Terror model should be here on Wed. Also, I highly recommend Michael Palin's book 'Erebus' which is the twinship to the Terror, both of which were part of the doomed Franklin expedition. Did you know that Michael Palin was president of the Royal Geographical Society? A big career change from Monty Python's Flying Circus. But then, he always was a writer.

+ Have developed a new interest in left-overs. It reduces the need to make trips to the grocery store.

+ It is a little disturbing watching people press themselves up against a parked car or cross the street to get away from you when you are out walking on a sunny afternoon -- even when you are more than 2m away.

+ I can't stop looking at the Google COVID-19 map. It updates every few minutes:  https://google.com/covid19-map/?hl=en

+ The Zoom meeting app is a surprisingly useful tool for keeping in touch with people. And it is free. My niece has started doing fitness classes for a group of family and friends. My daughter uses it for group chats with friends. We used it to have a virtual dinner party Friday night.

+ I've started noticing purpose-made, highly produced product advertisements on TV that directly address COVID-19 related issues, including car companies, grocery stores, travel companies, food delivery services, etc.

+ My investment statements are sitting unopened on my desk.

+ If you run out of jigsaw puzzles, for a challenge, you can turn them face down and do them again.

+ The refrigerator always picks the most inconvenient time to quit working. Fortunately, we have a second frig. Parts are on order.

+ I tried phoning Fedex today and have repeatedly got a "network busy" error on my phone.

+ I have not insured either motorcycle, because I suspect that the moment I do, the gov will announce mandatory seclusion rules. No sense in wasting money.

+ Lately, I have been happy when it is cold and raining because it keeps people indoors.

+ You find a lot of stuff you forgot you had when you start rearranging the garage and tool crib.

: :745: :745: :745:

Always best to keep the bike ready for the road, you never know when you'll need it

4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Recent Topics