Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Auto Contrast  (Read 778 times)

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Auto Contrast
« on: March 20, 2020, 03:36:49 PM »
A very trivial first world problem, but I noticed today that my screen was not flicking between high contrast and dark as I rode in and out of bright sunlight as the clouds changed, even though it was set to Auto.  It was stuck on the dark option, and would only change if I manually chose High Contrast.   It was OK last time I rode, switching between modes rapidly as the ambient light changed.

Anyone else had this?  Where exactly is the sensor?  Not a huge issue but bike is new, under warranty and a keeper so would like this resolved before I have to get my wallet out. 

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Re: Auto Contrast
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »
Been experiencing the same thing, and just out of warranty, so interested to hear if there's a solution. Mine will go to the white background in VERY bright light, but it seems to be staying mostly dark these days.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 03:48:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  And that's in Californian sunlight?

Do you think it possible that Triumph's software is so advanced that the screen is staying dark to reflect the global mood at the moment?   :435:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:50:21 PM by mcchoc »

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcchoc [+]
Thanks for your reply.  And that's in Californian sunlight?

Do you think it possible that Triumph's software is so advanced that the screen is staying dark to reflect the global mood at the moment?   :435:
That must be it, well done!  :047:
It's a sunny morning here at the moment, so just for grins backed the bike out of the garage.  I usually keep my screen tilted fairly vertical to avoid reflections, so tipped it more skyward, and lo and behold it turned to the white background after about 5 seconds.  Tried this a couple of times and same result.  So for the next few rides I'll try it in this position.  And FYI, IIRC, there are two sensors on the edges of the panel.  Some of the guys have tried taping over them in an effort to have the screen remain in low contrast.

Now my only problem is we have a mandatory quarantine in California effective today, except for food and essentials.  My view is that I need to ride for health reasons, mental health, otherwise I'll go nuts. :087: :001:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:02:44 PM by pcarnut »

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
Now my only problem is we have a mandatory quarantine in California effective today, except for food and essentials.  My view is that I need to ride for health reasons, mental health, otherwise I'll go nuts. :087: :001:

Hmmm - can't you justify riding to Lake Tahoe for a pint of milk and a loaf of bread?  Those CHiPs guys on their old Harleys couldn't catch you anyway.

Very interesting that moving your screen changed the dash's contrast mode.  I must try that myself, but here in northern England, we might not see the sun again until June.  :190:

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 07:24:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcchoc [+]
Those CHiPs guys on their old Harleys couldn't catch you anyway.
  True but you can't out run radio waves.  Then I'd be getting isolation of a different type, along with free room and board.   :008:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 07:44:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
Then I'd be getting isolation of a different type, along with free room and board.   :008:
After enough time at home with SWMBO, that begins to sound attractive...  :038:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
In my experience, the high contrast mostly switches on when the panel is exposed in direct sunlight.
FYI I have a screen protector installed, which might lower the threshold.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 11:39:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
In my experience, the high contrast mostly switches on when the panel is exposed in direct sunlight.
FYI I have a screen protector installed, which might lower the threshold.
... raise the threshold?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 06:01:33 PM »
Damn! Don't you ever sleep?
(c;

Recent Topics

nonskid