Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 1200 Fuel System  (Read 406 times)

Offline Pogo

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger XRT 1200
  • City / Town: Keighley
1200 Fuel System
« on: March 24, 2020, 06:20:13 PM »
Hi
      Has anybody had issue with the fuelling system on the Tiger 1200?

I have been out twice on the bike now having not ridden over winter and keeping the bike in the garage. The issue I have had was as if I was running out of fuel although there was about half a tank of fuel.

The first time it happened, it was only a slight issue and I put it down to me having new boots on and not changing gear properly but the second time I thought I was not going to get home.

I also thought I might have got some fuel, which may have been contaminated on the second occasion, as it seem to come clear after a while.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Re: 1200 Fuel System
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:24:53 AM »
No issues to report.  Maybe water in the fuel, might try some Techron for a tank or two.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:24:05 AM »
If you are going to hibernate the bike for winter like many do (or have too) you are best adding a stabiliser to the last few tanks of petrol before you do so. I have an old 1952 MG and it fires up first time every summer as the petrol is in good order with this additive. I use the Wynns stabiliser but there are multiple brands. https://www.wynns.eu/product/fuel-stabilizer/

I would be tempted to try an siphon out your old fuel,easier than taking the tank off,replenishing and flushing through what is in the rest of the injection system. Hopefully this is the worst of it and all will be well.

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »
No need to remove tank, nor siphon the fuel, simply park the bike on its side stand and remove the fuel hose from the left hand side of the tank, this will also allow all the fuel from the right hand side, and rear of tank, to drain. It may help to also open the fuel cap while draining.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »
Good advice. I might do it soon.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Regi T [+]
No need to remove tank, nor siphon the fuel, simply park the bike on its side stand and remove the fuel hose from the left hand side of the tank, this will also allow all the fuel from the right hand side, and rear of tank, to drain. It may help to also open the fuel cap while draining.
:491:

Offline Pogo

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger XRT 1200
  • City / Town: Keighley
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I've swapped the fuel so see how it goes now.

Recent Topics