Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Matt Gecko Headlight for a 13 Tiger Explorer  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Matt Gecko Headlight for a 13 Tiger Explorer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »
if you want good light get a set of these....

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H4-130-90W-Wattage/dp/B000VUB4CW/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=100+watt+9003&qid=1585765183&sr=8-4

make sure you get the ceramic sockets to go with them

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWPYO4/ref=psdc_15730151_t1_B000VUB4CW

They light up the roads very well ....unless your blind, you wont have any trouble seeing at night

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 08:33:28 AM »
They surely are good quality bulbs, but:
- Higher wattage means more heat and more current draw. Not the kind of risk I would take. I already got stranded at night on a highway because of a blown fuse and some here already reported melted headlight housing/reflector/lens.
- Road illumination performance is not only a question of light output, but first and foremost a consequence of the light projection pattern. Back in the days I fitted HIDs in my Tiger 1050's ultra sh!te headlight and got exactly that: a blinding light projected with the same silly pattern.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 01:41:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
They surely are good quality bulbs, but:
- Higher wattage means more heat and more current draw. Not the kind of risk I would take. I already got stranded at night on a highway because of a blown fuse and some here already reported melted headlight housing/reflector/lens.
- Road illumination performance is not only a question of light output, but first and foremost a consequence of the light projection pattern. Back in the days I fitted HIDs in my Tiger 1050's ultra sh!te headlight and got exactly that: a blinding light projected with the same silly pattern.

Yes but these work extremely well...no ball of light no melted lenses...they are halogen bulbs in a lens designed for halogen bulbs....the night time illumination is amazing...I've done about 20k miles with them and nary a single problem.

EDIT: Just checked and my LED is still on schedule to here tonight.....I hope its a quality piece.....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:48:20 PM by Crosshairs »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 05:34:16 PM »
I make it a point not to ride at night, so normally, I am only interested in high daylight visibility and lower amp loads. Having said that, I DO want headlights that actually work at night if I need them.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 01:11:32 PM »
Installed with no drama..its a pretty straight forward installation....looks and fits as good as stock ..It will be a while before I can test it at night  but I expect it will work very well

Offline Ruben07

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 17 Tiger ExplorerXCa
  • City / Town: Carolina
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »
Awesome!!! Thanks for the picture! Mine is already awaiting to be picked up but we are in lockdown for now. Can't wait to put it on the bike.

Offline Tex XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Austin, Tex
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »
Have this headlight sitting in my garage after trading in my 13 TEX, sell for $265.00 shipped.

Offline Tex XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Austin, Tex
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 07:50:25 PM »
Above headlight “SOLD”

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ruben07 [+]
Awesome!!! Thanks for the picture! Mine is already awaiting to be picked up but we are in lockdown for now. Can't wait to put it on the bike.

not sure of your experience but mine is a big disappointment.... in daylight unless the headlight is high beam, you can barley see it when coming from the other way....my riding buddies looking in their mirrors comment that if I dont have my high beams or  other aux lights on, Im almost invisible...  will most likely go back to my halogen setup

Recent Topics