Author Topic: Triumph 1200 Bobber - Thoughts & Opinions?  (Read 820 times)

Offline davi7488

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Mrk 3 XCA
  • City / Town: York
Triumph 1200 Bobber - Thoughts & Opinions?
on: April 17, 2020, 03:18:13 PM
Hi All,

I love my 2019 XCA and will not be changing it for a few years but I have been hankering after another bike for an occasional cruise around the Yorkshire Dales on a Sunday morning and am considering acquiring a newish 1200 Bobber to add to the stable.

While we are in lockdown the option of taking one for a spin is not available so I thought I would ask you guys (and Girls) if anyone has ridden / owned one and if you have what are your thoughts about the bike?

Cheers

David
 :031:

Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:20:28 PM by davi7488

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Triumph 1200 Bobber - Thoughts & Opinions?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 04:27:25 PM
I have a couple of acquaintances with the Bobber, one just got rid (for another Triumph) and the other won't last with it I'm sure. I have never ridden one but I get the impression from them that they are quite tiresome to ride for a whole day out, mainly due to the suspension and ergos. When we are out and about they do attract attention though, it’s a looker.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 04:59:34 PM
*Originally Posted by davi7488 [+]
an occasional cruise around the Yorkshire Dales on a Sunday morning

*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
they are quite tiresome to ride for a whole day out

You won't be having any long rides = the fuel tank is tiny, range is only about 75 miles???
Otherwise, it's got a great engine & for its type v.good handling but rather compromised by ground clearance.
I'd get a Speed Twin instead!

Offline takingiteasy

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Tewkesbury
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 07:11:48 PM
I had one for a couple of hours whilst my Tiger was having its first service.  The Bobber is really designed for those who want to pose and drive around city centres. it’s not very comfortable and stupidly low. One of the worse bikes I’ve ever ridden. I was given a T120 as a loaner bike last year and I was pleasantly surprised.....a very nice bike.

Offline chris1982

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:40:36 PM
I've seen them in A1 Moto, and while they look so cool, I wouldn't fancy riding one around the Dales, mostly because our roads aren't suited to that kind of bike. Like the other guys said, one of the other 1200 twins would be better, I think it would be between a Speed Twin and a Scrambler for me, because they still look great and more importantly, will be more fun to ride on Yorkshire roads!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:04:39 PM
Yes, defo the Scrambler 1200, had a long test ride over the Wicklow Mountains, an absolute hoot of a machine which would trundle along calmly at low speeds but tear your arms off if you wanted it too. I found it very comfortable with a relaxed riding position. Just needed a grippier seat material as I found myself sliding back a lot on hard acceleration.

Offline Jarse

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen1XC/Scrambler1200
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 11:01:32 AM
I’ve not owned one but test drove one. I went for the T120 instead and recently changed that for a 1200 XC Scrambler and absolutely love it. Still have my Explorer though.

Single seat, tiny tank and zero luggage options ruled it out for me. They look so cool though and I was at the launch event in London a few years back so feel a real affinity towards them. 

Offline davi7488

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Mrk 3 XCA
  • City / Town: York
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 07:38:06 AM
Many thanks for the replies, if I am honest I think it is predominantly the look of the bobber that is drawing me.

Once we are allowed out I will take one for a spin along with the recommended speed twin and scrambler but I suspect it's possibly not the bike for me.

Cheers all

David

nonskid