Author Topic: Sena SRL Comm System  (Read 727 times)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Sena SRL Comm System
on: April 26, 2020, 05:14:12 PM
Has anyone here used the Sena SRL/ShoeI Neotech II combo?

I like the looks of the Neotech II, and I've considered buying one, but the Sena SRL comm system designed to fit the helmet seems to get negative reviews.

I love my current Sena 20S Evo, but it looks like it would be hard to mount (or would have to go in an odd location) on the Neotech II.

I'd like a neat and clean helmet/comm set up, but I don't want to sacrifice the things I like about the 20S.

I don't NEED a new helmet, but I wouldn't mind one, either.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Sena SRL Comm System
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 05:58:31 PM
I have the Neotach II & Sena 'coz  I like Shoei helmets (had a Neotech 1 before) & the Sena is well integrated into the helmet.
It works well for me except for it occasionally being deaf to my voice commands (No real problem = has anyone ever found any voice command system anywhere that doesn't have its occasional faults???).
I have been told its is not easy to link the Sena to other brands of intercom but I haven't actually tried it for myself so can't fairly comment.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 06:35:53 PM
Thank you for the input.

I don't use the voice commands at all, so that isn't an issue for me.  I don't ride in groups, so I don't care if it plays nice with other brands as long as it will work with my fiance's 20S.

The main issues I am concerned with are the audio quality, button size/layout, and the inability to charge while using the headset.

I control my current headset through my Garmin 99% of the time, so the buttons (if the are as difficult to use as I have read) may not be an issue.

I can charge my 20S while I'm using it- I really only need to this maybe 3 or 4 times a year, but it would suck to lose comms and then need them.  I carry a power pack, so I could charge it at stops if I was going to be on a long ride.  I have read that the SRL turns off when you plug it in to charge.

So I guess the biggest issue is sound quality.  I'm very happy with the 20S; I've read that the SRL quality is lacking at high volume levels.  This is sort of a subjective evalutaion, I guess.  What's loud to me may not be loud to you, and crappy sound to you might me fine with me.  But I'd like anyone's take on the matter.

I was a big fan of my Shoei Multi-tech, which is why I bought my current Neotech, and why I am thinking about switching to the Neotech II.

Although, if the pattern holds, if I buy a Neotech II, there will be a Neotech III out later this year.  The NEotech came out less than a year after I bought the Multi-Tech.  The Neotech II came out a few months after I bought the Neotech.  Maybe I should wait....
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 07:00:44 PM
Am I correct in thinking the SRL doesn't have an earphone socket?
That would be a showstopper for me.  I use Etymotic noise-blocking earphones with my 20S.  Petty much all the time I'm riding.

Yes, I could rig up a socket, like I did on an earlier Sena headset, but I shouldn't have to, now that Sena have figured out that riders want that feature (20S and later).

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Pro
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 02:56:12 PM
I had the Neotec 1 and shoes system and upgraded to newer versions on both last year (NEC show bargain) and am very happy with the new system. I haven't tried charging it while using as the battery seems to last for ever, can't imagine I'd ride long enough to run it down in one day anyway.

I also can't see a headphone port on the unit (unless it's hidden inside the helmet).

I have connected it to the original SRL, usually without issue but occasionally they just won't play together. When they do though the sound is VERY good.

Andy
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

nonskid