Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Generation 1 Oil Pressure Warning Light  (Read 529 times)

Offline TEX1 MATT

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Merseyside
Generation 1 Oil Pressure Warning Light
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:21:35 PM »
Hi everyone

I have a Generation 1 2013 model with just under 9k on the clock. The battery went flat after I left the parking lights on for a few days of not using the bike - my own fault.

Ive plugged the bike in to my trickle charger and its working fine however now the oil pressure warning light has illuminated. Ive checked the book and it says the screen should display 'oil pressure' however it doesn't. It just reads as normal (trip computer shown currently). Ive checked the oil level and it is half way in the sight glass.

Any idea's??

Thanks
Matt

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Generation 1 Oil Pressure Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 11:00:32 PM »
I would disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, wait a while, and then reconnect it to reset. Then start-up and shut down three times to clear any error codes from the battery being disconnected.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »
It's very unlikely to be low oil pressure. Either a dodgy pressure switch, or it just needs a reset as Captaintrips says

Offline TEX1 MATT

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Merseyside
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 06:17:25 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys,

to do the reset do I have to start it and let it run until the fan kicks in and then shut it down ?

Ive re-started it and switched it off straight away three times to no avail?

Thanks

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
Yes, I seem to recall that you have to ride it a bit.

I also recall, that there have been a couple of people who have had the oil pressure sensor fail and had to replace it. I don't remember what the specific symptoms were, though.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline marcos

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX 2013 Graphite
  • City / Town: Bruges
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 09:54:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by TEX1 MATT [+]
Thanks for your replies guys,

to do the reset do I have to start it and let it run until the fan kicks in and then shut it down ?

Ive re-started it and switched it off straight away three times to no avail?

Thanks

maybe this 12' reset can help?

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10903.msg80890.html#msg80890

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 12:51:54 PM »
Not sure that is the issue specifically for the OP but the 12 minute tune is detailed on our own forum too, see 

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17005.10.html

Offline marcos

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX 2013 Graphite
  • City / Town: Bruges
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »
 :028:

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by TEX1 MATT [+]
...Ive checked the book and it says the screen should display 'oil pressure' however it doesn't...
I can't see any notes in the owner or service manuals to this effect. Can you post some details on where it says that?
Scrub that, I was looking at the wrong manuals! I don't think the 'oil Lo' message on the dash ever got implemented. Triumph removed the oil level switches before the bikes went on sale to the public, as I recall.

Also, there's no DTC (error code) associated with the oil pressure switch so no point looking for one or trying multiple engine heat cycles to clear it. If the light stays on then either your oil pressure is genuinely low or, more likely, the switch is faulty.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:41:37 PM by T800XC »
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
I can't see any notes in the owner or service manuals to this effect. Can you post some details on where it says that?
Scrub that, I was looking at the wrong manuals! I don't think the 'oil Lo' message on the dash ever got implemented. Triumph removed the oil level switches before the bikes went on sale to the public, as I recall.

Also, there's no DTC (error code) associated with the oil pressure switch so no point looking for one or trying multiple engine heat cycles to clear it. If the light stays on then either your oil pressure is genuinely low or, more likely, the switch is faulty.
If that is the case, then the failure of the oil pressure switch would be coincidental, and possibly unrelated to, the dead battery issue.

Recent Topics

nonskid