Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help with oil change  (Read 453 times)

Offline vt_sailor

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Saratoga Springs, NY
Help with oil change
« on: May 22, 2020, 02:20:39 AM »
Ok, my first time To change oil on my gen 1 (2015) explorer.  I used to live near a great dealer so I had them do it.  Now I’m out in the boonies and need to do it myself.  My usual method is to get the oil hot, put the bike on the center stand and use an oil vacuum to suck out all the oil via the fill hole.  Then put on a new filter, fill it up with oil and call it done.  So, I need an honest place in the US to get a filter, the rest is pretty straightforward.  Ideas where?  Is there any reason NOT to use my oil sucker?  It’s a lot easier for sure.  Thanks!

By the way, any riders near Saratoga Springs NY?

Thanks
Ray
2015 Explorer--givi bags with motech mounts,
Radiator protector, delrin gps mount, OEM & motech crash bars, motech hand guards, Clearwater Darla fog lights

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Help with oil change
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 05:26:33 AM »
I don't think that an oil sucker will get all of the oil out of the sump from the location of the filler. I use the drain plug. If belly pan is in the way, remove it and consider using a hole saw to drill a hole where the drain plug is located for next time.

If you don't want to order the Triumph filter online from Triumph USA (delivered to your local dealership) here is a handy oil filter cross-reference list:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html#5

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Geeza_uk

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Banff
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:34:34 AM »
Should always use the drain plug to drain the oil so you can check for any metal flakes In the oil and to make sure its fully drained

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »
 :0461: with the above.
Even if the sump guard is in the way of the drain plug, it's a good excuse to remove the fixing bolts and copper-slip (or whatever you prefer) as these are always exposed to the elements.

Offline electroken

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
I just took at look at the fill hole of my 2015 and I don't see any way to get a hose past the clutch basket, let alone all the way to the sump. You should definitely use the drain plug. It's one of the more accessible designs out there.

As far as filters go, I've used genuine T, Wix 51358, and Wix 51358XP. They're all made by Mann+Hummel but in different locations.

Offline Freddy58

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 04:19:40 PM »
I second the WIX recommendation... I was using the purolator ones recommended on the calsci site, but purolator has changed the design slightly so that some of those won't fully seat when twisted on (there is now interference with the change in the threaded center portion). When I ran out of filters I had bought earlier (for other bikes, had a bunch of the filters) I stopped trying to find older stock that fit without intereference (see explanation of changes here).

you might be able to get a thin enough tube past the clutch basket to suck the oil out. I've gotten one down far enough to drain some oil out after I overfilled it once. Not sure you'd get all the oil out. The drain plug is easily accessible.

I replace the oil filter first, on the side stand - makes a little less mess that way, and then once the new filter is on, put it on the center stand to drain and fill the oil in the sump.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »
I don't see any point in using anything except the drain plug. Just undo it and the filter and come back in half an hour and 99% of the oil will be drained. There's a hole in the sump guard for access. It's dead easy

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 02:41:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by vt_sailor [+]
Ok, my first time To change oil on my gen 1 (2015) explorer.  I used to live near a great dealer so I had them do it.  Now I’m out in the boonies and need to do it myself.  My usual method is to get the oil hot, put the bike on the center stand and use an oil vacuum to suck out all the oil via the fill hole.  Then put on a new filter, fill it up with oil and call it done.  So, I need an honest place in the US to get a filter, the rest is pretty straightforward.  Ideas where?  Is there any reason NOT to use my oil sucker?  It’s a lot easier for sure.  Thanks!

By the way, any riders near Saratoga Springs NY?

Thanks
Ray

I use these filters
https://www.amazon.com/Hiflofiltro-HF204RC-Racing-Oil-Filter/dp/B00G6EHK02
and this oil...
https://www.amazon.com/Motul-7100-Synthetic-Ester-Motor/dp/B00IKCY9RK

I normally order 3 or 4 of each at a time ...I ride a lot of miles so its nice to have the stuff here  when I need it

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:39:11 PM »
I buy my parts from Bike Bandit.

The filter

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/triumph/t1218001/b3269235?m=156669&sch=890419 

The sealing washer

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/triumph/t3558989/b4119361?m=156669&sch=890438 

The nice thing about these parts is that they fit a number of Triumphs, 3 that I own or recently have owned.  Trophy, Explorer, and Bonneville.

Some stuff from Triumph may take a while to ship, it is always worth a call.

Good luck, Ride Safe.
ZShyster

Recent Topics

nonskid