Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: It's farewell to the Tiger 1200  (Read 1915 times)

Online D16PJM

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Sidcup
Re: It's farewell to the Tiger 1200
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
my issue with many new bikes is wind and weather protection, something that is hard to gauge on a 45 min test ride, i find the 1200 works well, does the 900 do a good job and what is the wind noise etc like, long term all bikes are getting smaller frontal areas.

Pete

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XR
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 09:38:56 PM »
I would have an extended test ride before buying a new Tiger 900 after the remarks made today off a guy that has just bought one. He said it is a excellent bike ruined by the engine and wished he had kept his Tiger 800. He said you feel  the vibration on longer journeys and has had a tingle in the foot pegs.  It did not sound very good either as he pulled  away not like the nice smooth triple sound but a cross between a twin and a boxer engine.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »
The mid market seems to suffer with wind protection. Most test riders for the new BMW 900XR find the front wind protection pretty poor when coming from the larger machines too. If you are an all weather rider one of the T12's redeeming features from its weight/size is the the ability to push on through terrible weather with minimal fuss.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 10:44:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
I wonder if Jaeger was just talking about bike colour? No it was in reference to the colour I had used to reply like the blue I use now.

Andrew, you should stop reading posts with too much bias in your mind. Bias is an inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair which I didn't have and still do not I have no opinion of you as I do not know you and answered the questions you posed in good faith and not realising I needed to be a lawyer to do so.  

Both of the sentences you quoted me on were questions, not assumptions or statements.

You are the one doing the assuming. An assumption is something that you assume to be the case, even without proof. So I assumed that you were asking questions that you assumed to be the reason for changing machines.

Due to loosing the will to live I shall leave this thread and hope it continues discussing the 1200 v's 900.

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »
Well I collect the new bike tomorrow, excited, and still confident I made the right decision for both my wife and myself. She was happy on the pillion seat during the test ride, felt it was equally comfortable as the 1200 with only very small space loss. She preferred the lower position in relation to me as she was never a big fan of feeling perched up higher than me.

Re the engine vibration mentioned. Some people seem to be affected by vibration more than others. My experience is, yes, there is some awareness of greater vibration but slight and not an issue for me. If I were still doing big adventure rides I might have doubts and would need to do a long demo ride to make that decision. But I am not doing long rides anymore so I am comfortable with that decision. I feel the performance and character added to the bike by the new engine configuration is well worth it.

Wind protection, yes, there is less but still pretty good in my opinion. Again if using for long adventures, well, the Tiger 1200 takes a lot of beating. There was a reason I have ridden this superb bike for 7 years with the latest iteration being a credit to Triumph development, it is awesome.

The 900 surprised me, I took the test ride knowing I needed to do something and expected it to be a reluctant compromise and downgrade. On the contrary I was amazed at how nimble, agile and enjoyable it was. This was reinforced when I got back on my 1200 to ride home where I suddenly found it somewhat of a lump, harder work to ride and suddenly a bit uninspiring. I honestly can't believe I'm saying that!

So long tours, I would stick to 1200 I think but for for sticking in a trailer behind the motorhome to use for daily tours from site out into the area, for solving my increasing weakness and weight issue, for fun riding and its agility the 900 does it for me.

Just my opinion, everyone is different and have different requirements and must make their own choices. For any faced with same issues of weight as we mature its definitely worth a look.

Ride safe everybody  :028:

Offline Jaeger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 10:03:05 AM »
And what colour was it, maybe red? :305:

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 10:56:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jaeger [+]
And what colour was it, maybe red? :305:

Of course, the best and fastest colour  :008:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 04:56:45 PM »
Goes without saying ;-)

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 07:41:50 PM »
Letemfly:  Would love to hear more about the bike as you spend time on it.  Currently I have a 2011 Tiger 1050 for fun on back roads and the 1200 as more of a touring mount.   I'm very attached to the 1050 and reluctant to let it go, but I've been considering putting some money into new suspension and other tweaks, or maybe put that money towards a 900, just not sure about the new firing order.  And congrats on the new machine!
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »
I shall look forward to my local dealer getting a demonstrator as like you I would need a test ride before making a decision and interestingly when I have said to fellow riders there is a 60 kg weight difference they are surprised.

Recent Topics