Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Flat battery  (Read 757 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Cragman7

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 46
  • Bike: Explorer XC 2014
  • City / Town: Wellingborough
  • Country: Northants
Flat battery
« on: May 31, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
I "Think" I may have left the bike with the key in the park position for a week in the garage. Battery was totally dead, no dash, no pumps, nothing. Checked voltage at it was 7 volts. It's been on an optimate all day now and shows 11.7 volts. The starter now clicks, but not turning the engine over. Is 11.7 volts just not enough ?
I guess I'll know in the morning. Battery is only 8 weeks FFS  :084:

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1336
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 06:49:17 PM »
I think, just think, if your optimate has a “save battery” function It only works with the battery disconnected.

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4934
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »
Optimates are not good for bringing a battery back from fully discharged. They are good for maintaining a charge. You may need to put a charger on there that can put out 4 or 5 amps.  A fully charged battery is 12.7 volts. 11.7 volts is less that 30% charged.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:08:57 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Will Morgan

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1302
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:32:24 PM »
My Optimate will recover a very discharged battery but it takes 24 hours or more. As Capt Trips says you will need at least 12.7v.

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1336
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Optimates are not good for bringing a battery back from fully discharged. They are good for maintaining a charge. You may need to put a charger on there that can put out 4 or 5 amps.  A fully charged battery is 12.7 volts. 11.7 volts is less that 30% charged.
In the main yes Captn, but my specific Optimate has a "save" battery feature. Just found the FAQ on it and it states that if the save function doesn't work on the bike remove the battery and try on the bench, to quote:
 
OptiMate has tried to recover my battery but has not succeeded – what should I do?

 Miracles being rather more difficult than the mere impossible, there will be some sulphated batteries that even OptiMate cannot cure, and the red LED will indicate this after up to 2 hours of it's special recovery mode, followed by a second "last ditch" attempt in bulk charging mode. If the battery is still on the vehicle, remove it, take it to the workbench, reconnect & restart the OptiMate for a second recovery attempt. If the red LED lights again after 2 hours your battery is almost certainly unserviceable so take it to a dealer equipped with a BatteryMate professional load tester-charger for a final assessment before recycling.

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4934
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
In the main yes Captn, but my specific Optimate has a "save" battery feature. Just found the FAQ on it and it states that if the save function doesn't work on the bike remove the battery and try on the bench, to quote:
 
OptiMate has tried to recover my battery but has not succeeded – what should I do?

 Miracles being rather more difficult than the mere impossible, there will be some sulphated batteries that even OptiMate cannot cure, and the red LED will indicate this after up to 2 hours of it's special recovery mode, followed by a second "last ditch" attempt in bulk charging mode. If the battery is still on the vehicle, remove it, take it to the workbench, reconnect & restart the OptiMate for a second recovery attempt. If the red LED lights again after 2 hours your battery is almost certainly unserviceable so take it to a dealer equipped with a BatteryMate professional load tester-charger for a final assessment before recycling.
I have a digital automotive charger that has a fairly sophisticated desulphurating mode that it will automatically engage if required. It tests the battery and automatically adjusts its charge rate accordingly on the fly along with displaying the current volts or amps. Rather than be limited to 2 amps, it will charge closer to the typical output of the bike's alternator.

I have a Battery Tender myself. But I use the automotive charger when a battery is flat.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pcarnut

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 600
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
  • Country: US
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 07:51:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I have a digital automotive charger that has a fairly sophisticated desulphurating mode that it will automatically engage if required. It tests the battery and automatically adjusts its charge rate accordingly on the fly along with displaying the current volts or amps.
Interested to hear what brand and model?
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4934
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
Interested to hear what brand and model?
It is a garden variety digital automotive charger available at automotive stores. Mine is 10 or 12 years old. Here is what a later version looked like, which is pretty much identical to mine. It is a house brand for Canadian Tire stores:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-intelligent-battery-charger-12-8-2a-0111518p.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:43:21 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mjab

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 923
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
  • Country: England
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cragman7 [+]
I "Think" I may have left the bike with the key in the park position for a week in the garage. Battery was totally dead, no dash, no pumps, nothing. Checked voltage at it was 7 volts. It's been on an optimate all day now and shows 11.7 volts. The starter now clicks, but not turning the engine over. Is 11.7 volts just not enough ?
I guess I'll know in the morning. Battery is only 8 weeks FFS  :084:

Bought a halfords smart charger.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-chargers/halfords-advanced-smart-battery-charger-446040.html?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Motoring%3EBattery+Maintenance%3EBattery+Chargers-_-Motoring%3EBattery+Maintenance%3EBattery+Chargers-_-446040&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=62b447cf-331e-4fec-a47a-9985ff72d404&istItemId=wtxxtalxl&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:367490823|agid:1289727459789483|tid:pla-4584207584404339|crid:|nw:o|rnd:|dvc:c|adp:|mt:e|loc:&msclkid=a0212f0cabfc12592b8f71d377f8fa15&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA%20-%203Bs%20-%20Batteries%20-%20CSS&utm_term=4584207584404339&utm_content=3Bs%20-%20Battery%20Chargers%20%26%20Jump%20Starters

It automatically senses if the voltage is too low to trickle charge and goes to full mode instead. My battery came back in around 12 hours
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline pcarnut

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 600
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
  • Country: US
Re: Flat battery
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 10:58:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
It is a garden variety digital automotive charger available at automotive stores. Mine is 10 or 12 years old. Here is what a later version looked like, which is pretty much identical to mine. It is a house brand for Canadian Tire stores:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-intelligent-battery-charger-12-8-2a-0111518p.html
Thanks!
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

 


Recent Topics


nonskid