Author Topic: Border control  (Read 724 times)

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: explorer
Border control
on: June 19, 2020, 03:39:55 PM
Here's a poser. I live in Wales, 3 miles from the border with England. In Wales, we are not allowad to travel more than 5 miles. In England you can ride your motorcycle any distance, as long as you return home the same day. The question is, if I ride to, and cross, the border and go for a ride, am I breaking a law?

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Border control
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:53:45 PM
Well in England in addition to the rules you mentioned already, we are not allowed to cross the border into Scotland or Wales. So I guess you might be OK getting out but you might be stopped getting back in.

I've not seen this relaxed. Pretty sure we're still not allowed to leave England. It was designed to keep the English out, but was it supposed to keep the Welsh in? I dunno. It was devised when we had the hot weather and lockdown-lite was being relaxed. Everyone was rushing for the beauty spots like Croydon and Scunthorpe.

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: explorer
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:56:22 PM
The interesting point is, I would still be entitled to travel 5 miles to my home under Welsh restrictions. I almost feel like doing it, to test the law, or on second thoughts, maybe not.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 04:58:08 PM
I live in England 3 miles from the Welsh border. I cross in & out of Wales whenever I need to, which is very regularly as I have business interests there, as well to use essential shops & services. Everyone in local border communities does the same as me, sometimes several times a day, and both from England into Wales and vice versa. I haven't heard of a single local person from either side of the border ever being stopped. The police aren't stupid & know people have legal & justifiable reasons for crossing the border.

There's no distance limit in England so once you cross the border you can go where you want, but in Wales you aren't meant to travel more than 5 miles from home (so I realize going for a hoon around my favourite Welsh roads would be taking the piss, so I don't). This 5 mile limit in Wales is under review according to today's news and maybe lifted in July. Until then I restrict myself to slightly less favourite roads on the English side of the border.

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 08:23:35 PM
JFDI

I don't think the law gives a sh#t so long as you are being sensbile.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren