Author Topic: Considering the Speed Twin; anyone owned one?  (Read 1738 times)

Online moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Considering the Speed Twin; anyone owned one?
on: June 24, 2020, 09:40:59 PM
I think I will be selling the Tex later this year and going for something lower, lighter but with a good bit of grunt. The Speed Twin seems to fit the bill.

I haven't ridden one yet but wondered if any one on here had any experience of owning one?
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Re: Considering the Speed Twin; anyone owned one?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 10:26:44 PM
You don't mean "speed triple" right? If it's anything like my wive's Scrambler 800 it's one of the most fun bikes you can ride.
Speed triple - I have a few members in my club who swear it's the best bike they've ever ridden but I don't trust those bunch much. They go way too fast and it's hard to spot them after they say things - they disappear too quickly...
My ex wife had a street triple and crashed hard and nothing happened to the motorcycle while the car's back was completely bashed in.

Test ride! Test ride! Test ride! :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Jarse

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen1XC/Scrambler1200
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 10:31:52 PM
I have chopped in my T120 for a Scrambler 1200 XC. Absolutely love it.

If I had to have a one bike garage, the 2013 Explorer XC would stay but if you’re not doing continental mileage two up regularly..... 🤔🤔🤔

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 08:43:50 AM
I had a Speed Twin as a loan bike for a day while my Tex was serviced. It was absolutely bloody fantastic. Over recent years I’ve ridden all most all of the Triumph range except the Rocket 3 & new Tiger 900. The Speed Twin is the only one I was reluctant to hand back. Despite nonadjustable suspension the handling is much better than you might expect & the engine is stonking. On many UK roads it would give a more sports focused bike a good run for its money and in the right hands would leave it behind. For a light & agile ride I enjoyed it as much as my own 765 Street Triple = its different but every bit as much fun (it's a wolf in sheep’s clothing) & infinitely better than any of the other Triumph ‘modern classics’ except possibly the Thruxton but doesn’t have the racing riding position of that so is more user friendly. Speed Twin is light & agile, the only things it might not excel at are touring (not much luggage available) or long distances 2 up (seat isn’t roomy enough) or off-roading.

As you can tell I loved it! If I were to buy any other Triumph right now it would be a Speed Twin.......and I may well do if I can afford it or get good px for my Tex.

Take a test ride but beware of the potential consequences!

Offline FellZebra

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 09:45:42 AM
Not owned one, but I tested one when looking at changing my second bike.
As post above they're a cracking bike, plenty fast enough to be good fun, looks great, felt light and handled well enough.
I'd have been happy with it and nearly bought one..................but got a Thruxton R instead!

Oh yeah, Also tested the Scrambler1200, it's ace and in my opinion if you recognise the limitations of these retro Triumphs (For example I wouldn't ride to the south of france on my Thruxton, that's what an Explorer is for) then you really can't go wrong.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 10:32:33 AM
Also consider testriding the new 900 GT Pro: gives the impression and power of an Explorer, but MUCH lighter, and the feeling of a twin :152:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Online moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 11:17:47 AM
Thanks guys.

Only doing the odd two-up with my son on the back but he's disappearing off to Uni so it'll just be me on the bike.

I love the look of the Thruxton but I need the more upright riding position of the Speed Twin (I did sit on a Thruxton at one of the shows and thought 'that is not gonna work for me').

I haven't ruled out the 900 GT Pro as the cost isn't that much different so I think test rides of both the Speed Twin and the 900 are in order at some point. Should be seeing the 2021 Speed Twin soon I suppose so I'll see if they change much (which I doubt).

I wouldn't part with the Tex if I could afford to have two bikes as she's taken me to some great places and she crossed the Atlantic with me when we moved back home to the UK.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Kernowboy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 12:08:34 PM
Rode the Tiger 45 miles to the dealer for a service & hopped straight on a Speed Twin demonstrator, couldn't believe how small & light it felt at first, couple of miles into the ride felt right at home, did some dual carriageway A & B roads. Handling is superb, suspension generally great but did get upset by an uneven section on a B road. Really fun bike with a great engine, the dealer compares it to a 2 cylinder Speed Triple!
Hopped on the Tiger to return home, 20 miles in asked myself which bike I'd prefer to be on at that point, undoubtedly it was the Tiger.
Think I need both!  :001:

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 04:56:37 PM
It would depend on your stature. They are a small bike, not suited to the larger man. A big chap passed me on one recently, and looked like he was riding a Honda monkey bike. Knees and elbows sticking out at right angles!

Offline Chris TEx

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Montrose
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 05:00:34 PM
I have a Thruxton R and absolutely love it. I’ve had I almost 4 years now and have no plans to sell it.

The Speed Twin looks great too. Really easy to ride, well built and sound great.