Author Topic: Considering the Speed Twin; anyone owned one?  (Read 1448 times)

Online moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Re: Considering the Speed Twin; anyone owned one?
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 05:53:54 PM
Fortunately I'm not a big guy so hopefully the fit will be good. I notice that a few Triumph dealers are pushing 2020 ex-demo models so I wonder if there is a 2021 update on the way?

Can't buy it just right now so I'll see what comes up but I'm definitely having a test ride in the next few weeks.

Gorgeous in the Speed Twin and Thruxton variants  :028:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Online moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
Re: Considering the Speed Twin; anyone owned one?
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 11:54:54 AM
Test ride booked for next Friday.

4 hours on the Speed Twin should give me a good idea if it's going to work for me as my only ride.

I'll let you know my thoughts on it next weekend.

I noticed it isn't Euro 5 so that means the next model will need to have some changes to it and what I would really like (though out of keeping with the Classic idea) is cruise control. Nothing to do with Euro 5 compliance of course but I will miss being able to rest my right hand/wrist if I do go with the Speed Twin. The Scrambler has it but that style isn't my cup of tea.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Online moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
Re: Considering the Speed Twin......
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 10:49:09 PM
So I had a fun day trying out the Speed Twin and then another Triumph.

The Speed Twin was lots of fun but it is clear it is not going to fulfil the role as the ONLY bike in my garage. For me, it makes a great second bike.

The chap at the dealership suggested taking a ride on the 900 GT Pro. I had been hesitant because I wanted something more manageable than the Explorer and the 900 seemed to be almost as big.

It isn't! I can flat foot and the bike is easy to move around whilst sat in the saddle. The engine is different for sure but has lots of grunt. It doesn't match the sheer pull of the Tex but it is still surprisingly rapid.

So this will be my next bike though not till early next year by the look of things.

If you haven't tried it and are willing to give up the shaft drive then I highly recommend you take a test ride.
Moggi

Bruce McLaren

Recent Topics

nonskid