Author Topic: How To Use TigerTool V3.0 Service Utility Software  (Read 14847 times)

Offline Diogo

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 2015
  • City / Town: Florianópolis
Re: How To Use TigerTool V3.0 Service Utility Software
Reply #40 on: January 06, 2022, 11:28:06 PM
I am trying to reset the service interval on my bike, but the OBD2 adapter I have is a ELM327 Wifi dongle. I tried a few generic OBD2 apps for android but none could connect to the ECU. I did some searching here and couldn't find if tigertool supports Wifi dongles. Since the first screen ask for a serial port, I'm assuming it doesn't. Can you guys confirm this?

I could try to do a serial port to TCP bridge, but since my OBD2 interface already failed to connect to the ECU this may be hopeless. Do you guys know (probably a question for T800XC) if tigertool has a better chance to connect to the ECU? I'm not familiar to ELM327 or OBD2 and I think the ECU connection may be handled entirely by the ELM327 adapter.

Anyway, I may just buy a USB - OBD2 adapter, but making this wifi dongle work may be fun. And could be useful to other people as well.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #41 on: January 07, 2022, 01:00:58 AM
TigerTool can be used with WiFi ELM327 OBD2 dongles. Here's one method from the Tiger 800 forum...

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,28260.msg315677.html#msg315677
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Diogo

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 2015
  • City / Town: Florianópolis
Reply #42 on: January 07, 2022, 02:53:21 PM
This is a nice solution. Unfortunately my adapter must be one of the bad clones. I get a "Lost Contact With OBD Interface!" message a few seconds after I click on the connect button.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #43 on: January 07, 2022, 03:24:30 PM
*Originally Posted by Diogo [+]
This is a nice solution. Unfortunately my adapter must be one of the bad clones. I get a "Lost Contact With OBD Interface!" message a few seconds after I click on the connect button.
I bought a WiFi adaptor for testing and it also suffered from the same problem. I did try to get it working but I'm not convinced it was giving the expected error when a command such as 'AT D' is not recognised, as usually happens with the clone issues. The error that you're seeing tends to be caused when there's a timeout while waiting for a command reply. This is more common with WiFi and occasionally Bluetooth interfaces / adaptors.

I eventually gave up (for now) as it's not something I'm ever likely to use, but I'm aware that certain TigerTool users have been able to get some WiFi adaptors to work for them.

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #44 on: January 07, 2022, 08:45:32 PM
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
TigerTool can be used with WiFi ELM327 OBD2 dongles. Here's one method from the Tiger 800 forum...
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,28260.msg315677.html#msg315677
That link needs a T800 login, so I can't see it.
Are we talking WiFi adapter, or Bluetooth?  -My cheap ebay Bluetooth adapter worked OK with TigerTool.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #45 on: January 08, 2022, 12:16:02 AM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
That link needs a T800 login, so I can't see it.
Are we talking WiFi adapter, or Bluetooth?  -My cheap ebay Bluetooth adapter worked OK with TigerTool.
Oops, my bad. I should have realised that.

It relates to WiFi adaptors as it was in response to Diogo's problems. I can copy the content of the post here if anyone wants to read it.

Online GerPa

• Explorer Member
  • Ride it like you stole it.
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Mackay
Reply #46 on: January 22, 2022, 12:53:00 AM
Nebie Question.

What's the difference between Dealer Tool and Tiger Tool. is one more effective or easier to use than the other.

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #47 on: January 22, 2022, 09:27:52 AM
*Originally Posted by GerPa [+]
Nebie Question.

What's the difference between Dealer Tool and Tiger Tool. is one more effective or easier to use than the other.
Dealertool is excellent and has the addition of being able to monitor sensor inputs etc and run a few tests but is about £60 and uses a licence locked to just one bike (or you can buy extra licences).

I find TigerTool quicker and easier to use, but then I'm naturally biased as I created it!

TigerTool is free but you need a suitable lead or Bluetooth interface which will typically cost as little £5-£20 or your local equivalent currency. There's no licensing so can be used on multiple bikes. It can also programme TPMS sensors and enable or disable the TPMS system (not currently on Gen3 1200s but I'm working on that), something that Dealertool doesn't currently do.

I'm also thinking about adding sensor and switch monitoring and system tests to a later release.