Author Topic: Dead battery!  (Read 735 times)

Offline Grimpeur

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrx
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Dead battery!
on: July 23, 2020, 05:35:44 PM
 Not ridden since before lockdown. Not really surprised that the battery is dead. Or appears dead. Do I just buy a new one or try to bring it back to life? New battery doesn’t seem to cost much more than an optimate. Appreciate your thoughts.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Dead battery!
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 05:45:01 PM
You can try charging your battery and it might work, depending on how "dead" it is.

I keep my TEX on an battery tender whenever I'm not riding it just to avoid these issues.

Rides the MaidenCruiser

Offline gbossa

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer '15
  • City / Town: Miami
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 12:52:06 AM
Can these be charged with jumper cables thru a regular car battery? Or is that a big no no?

Offline RaglandT

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tigers 800xc-1200XRT
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 03:57:00 AM
*Originally Posted by gbossa [+]
Can these be charged with jumper cables thru a regular car battery? Or is that a big no no?

If you have a pigtail lead to plug the other battery into, that would work.  But trying to jump it with cables risks frying the ecm. 

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 10:03:00 AM
I'd be done with it and just buy a new battery; they are not expensive. The cost of breaking down from a resuscitated battery 100 miles from home will be a lot more. Some chargers have a “save” feature, but my Optimate save feature didn’t work on my Daytona 1200 or my 2018 T12 battery when they died. I wouldn’t mind but the Tiger was being used regularly and was always on an Optimate when not in use. Now I use the optimate every few days rather than permanently.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 10:33:15 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Some chargers have a “save” feature, but my Optimate save feature didn’t work on my Daytona 1200 or my 2018 T12 battery when they died.

Sorry if you already know this but I thought it might be worth mentioning.........
From somewhere in the depths of my memory I think my type of Optimate's save feature only works with "the battery removed from bike". I suspect its adequate to just disconnect it from the bike's wiring loom & Optimate are being cautious in case the battery overheats / bursts into flames while the save feature does its job.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 10:46:13 AM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Sorry if you already know this but I thought it might be worth mentioning.........
From somewhere in the depths of my memory I think my type of Optimate's save feature only works with "the battery removed from bike". I suspect its adequate to just disconnect it from the bike's wiring loom & Optimate are being cautious in case the battery overheats / bursts into flames while the save feature does its job.
I was aware of this but worth pointing it out again.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 12:15:49 AM
How does an Optimate magically know that the battery is removed from the bike?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 07:57:44 AM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
How does an Optimate magically know that the battery is removed from the bike?
When it tries to save a battery (if your version has a save feature) it does so by charging to full voltage, if possible, if it can't this is the first fail point and you don't need to go any further.

It then pauses the charge and monitors the voltage drop over a set time. This set time is quite long, I think 12 hours hence the reason they ask you to give the save feature at least 24hrs to test. They ask you to take it off the bike so the discharge is solely the feature of the batteries condition and is not because of the bikes electronics, alarm systems etc. So it's not magic at all, it doesn't know!

Recent Topics