Author Topic: Rapid training  (Read 449 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline salisburytiger

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 48
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XRt 2018
  • City / Town: Salisbury
  • Country: gb
Rapid training
on: July 27, 2020, 08:56:46 PM
Quick endorsement for these guys in the UK. Just done half a day with Ali down in Dorset and he was fantastic.
In summary he got me riding with such confidence - it was a blast.
Fast, smooth - lot’s of overtaking, highly recommended 👌

#1

Offline mjab

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 931
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
  • Country: gb
Re: Rapid training
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:06:56 PM
I've been lucky enough to do 2 days with two different rapid trainers and both days were fantastic. They take "advanced rider" skills to another level at real world speeds and are highly recommended. Following a police class 1 rider whilst listening to him give a commentary on his observations as he rides is a real eye opener to what is easily missed.
Not sure if they still do it but they used to offer a discount to IAM or ROSPA members so worth a check if you are.
Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:08:33 PM by mjab
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

#2

Offline TinnedBeans

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
  • City / Town: Stockport
  • Country: gb
Re: Rapid training
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 08:03:07 AM
I did a Cornering Masterclass last year as it was an offer, and seemed sensibly priced. Maybe I am just poor in money as well as technique - the usual price of Rapid is astonishing, well beyond what I can afford.
The class I did was a day, I spent all day hanging well off the back, like half a mile or more. I had to break the speed limit in any built up area to get back on terms, usually just in time to see another NSL sign and the group to disappear again.  towards the end one of the attendees took pity on me and rode with me, something that I was very grateful for. The instructor didn't, and there was just one instructor on the day for 8 - 10 of us.
I got little from the day, no new techniques. Just riding really.
I suppose that I learned that it's possible to ride a lot faster than I thought safe. And I am slightly risk averse.  Not sure if it was safe to ride like this, genuinely don't believe that they could stop in the distance they could see to be clear on their side of the road.

#3

Offline Will Morgan

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1338
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
  • Country: gb
Re: Rapid training
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:29:59 AM
*Originally Posted by TinnedBeans [+]
I did a Cornering Masterclass last year as it was an offer, and seemed sensibly priced. Maybe I am just poor in money as well as technique - the usual price of Rapid is astonishing, well beyond what I can afford.
The class I did was a day, I spent all day hanging well off the back, like half a mile or more. I had to break the speed limit in any built up area to get back on terms, usually just in time to see another NSL sign and the group to disappear again.  towards the end one of the attendees took pity on me and rode with me, something that I was very grateful for. The instructor didn't, and there was just one instructor on the day for 8 - 10 of us.
I got little from the day, no new techniques. Just riding really.
I suppose that I learned that it's possible to ride a lot faster than I thought safe. And I am slightly risk averse.  Not sure if it was safe to ride like this, genuinely don't believe that they could stop in the distance they could see to be clear on their side of the road.

I thought Rapid Training was one-to-one? If you were in a group was it because it was a special offer and/or a cornering specific masterclass?

From their website I guess you would have been better off doing their ordinary 'Roadmaster' course, but thats still expensive, especially if you do all 3 levels.

If you are risk averse & were finding it hard to keep up I'd recommend IAM. Their advanced rider course is about £150 and you get as many sessions as you need to get to their advanced test standard. IAM do like to 'make progress' but safely & legally.

Another alternative is ROSPA who offer similar courses to IAM but I have no personal experience of them.

(I admit I did IAM, continued riding with them & I'm now one of their observers who provide the training so I'm biased towards IAM !!!)


#4

Offline salisburytiger

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 48
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XRt 2018
  • City / Town: Salisbury
  • Country: gb
Re: Rapid training
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 10:18:13 AM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
I thought Rapid Training was one-to-one? If you were in a group was it because it was a special offer and/or a cornering specific masterclass?

From their website I guess you would have been better off doing their ordinary 'Roadmaster' course, but thats still expensive, especially if you do all 3 levels.

If you are risk averse & were finding it hard to keep up I'd recommend IAM. Their advanced rider course is about £150 and you get as many sessions as you need to get to their advanced test standard. IAM do like to 'make progress' but safely & legally.

Another alternative is ROSPA who offer similar courses to IAM but I have no personal experience of them.

(I admit I did IAM, continued riding with them & I'm now one of their observers who provide the training so I'm biased towards IAM !!!)

I thought they were one on one only too?

I agree that IAM is a good cheaper option but I have heard the riding style is ‘slower’ if you see what I mean. The main thing about Rapid is being taught by a class one Police biker.

I’ve taken the plunge and booked the remaining two days of their three day course - it’s a lot of money but nothing compared to the cost of a crash. I am convinced that by the end he will have be riding faster, safer and smoother. The big thing for me is to be taught how to overtake well on British roads - I need that skill in my life!

#5

Offline Will Morgan

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1338
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
  • Country: gb
Re: Rapid training
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 10:49:25 AM
*Originally Posted by salisburytiger [+]
I agree that IAM is a good cheaper option but I have heard the riding style is ‘slower’ if you see what I mean. The main thing about Rapid is being taught by a class one Police biker.

To compensate for that & to make things more "interesting" my local IAM group uses twisty national speed limit B roads that require more skill at 60 than an A road does at illegal speeds.

Many police class 1 riders do Rapid, IAM, ROSPA & BikeSafe = I've often come across the same faces & names in all those organizations, and they all teach from the same book = Roadcraft.

It's really a personal choice. Do whichever works for you, which is often how you perceive the intentions of the different courses and how well you respond to the instructor.




#6

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1410
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: ie
Re: Rapid training
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:15:55 PM
I am ROSPA certified and the local groups are charity based and require little in the way of fees, I think mine is about €25 a year and it is for a bit of admin. Then you require actual central ROSPA membership which includes re sitting the exam free of charge every three years. https://www.roadar.org.uk/index.htm  About £50 a year if I remember correctly.

I would encourage anyone who wants to improve their skills to join a local group, all of the tutor's time is free of charge, they are volunteers, you pay nothing for lessons, presentations and group rideouts etc. The emphasis is on road safety, I won't go on an on about it but the emphasis is on safety and recognising danger and threats, positioning, anticipation etc etc etc. It is not about making fast progress as it is sometimes mistakenly described.

If you want an idea of the guide to which they work pick up a copy of RoADAR - Roadcraft Rider's Handbook at https://www.rospa.com/Shop/Products/Roadcraft-Rider-s-Handbook or any number of 2nd hand ones availble on Amazon, I got mine for £1. Don't worry if you don't buy the very latest edition, 95% of the content has been the same for years.

I'm not sure these courses that charge £150 for a day and leave a guy behind are worth a sh#te.

#7

Offline mjab

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 931
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
  • Country: gb
Re: Rapid training
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 09:21:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
To compensate for that & to make things more "interesting" my local IAM group uses twisty national speed limit B roads that require more skill at 60 than an A road does at illegal speeds.

Many police class 1 riders do Rapid, IAM, ROSPA & BikeSafe = I've often come across the same faces & names in all those organizations, and they all teach from the same book = Roadcraft.

It's really a personal choice. Do whichever works for you, which is often how you perceive the intentions of the different courses and how well you respond to the instructor.

You are right, they all use Roadcraft for their instruction and have to agree Will about being able to ride a twisty road at 60 than a straight one at 80  :467:
I did my IAM and dabbled at observing but couldn't commit due to a illness in the family. Rapid is usually 2 or 1 rider to a trainer though they do tours that have more.
The difference to me is whilst the IAM and ROSPA will give you the core skills everything is now about road safety and you can quite legitimately pass your advanced test without even doing an overtake as you are no longer allowed to exceed the speed limit for a road even to overtake.
Rapid know bikers don't ride like that in the real world and believe in giving you more than the core skills by teaching you to use those core skills at speeds you would normally ride at.  I'm surprised at the description of the cornering masterclass as it certainly doesn't sound like the usual rapid ride. Both trainers on my day had the same set of rules.
1. 30 and 40's are observed at all times. In other limits ride to what you can see.
2. white lines are there for a reason so do not cross them
3 If I'm not happy with what you are doing then I will not be behind you
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul