Author Topic: Seat swapping on an XRx low  (Read 451 times)

Offline Jetpilot5

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Shopping
  • City / Town: Bloomington, IL
Seat swapping on an XRx low
on: July 29, 2020, 04:23:11 PM
Currently shopping slightly used gen 2 XR bikes. Found a nice deal on the low version. I don't need the low seat height, I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam. I don't think I would miss the reduced suspension travel as I plan to use the bike on road only but would swapping the seat over to a standard XR seat get me back the legroom of the regular height bike? Is it just the seat itself that's different or is the structure that attaches the seat to the bike also different? On the standard bikes I've sat on in the showrooms I have them put the seat in the high position.  Thanks!

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Seat swapping on an XRx low
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 04:58:26 PM

The seat height of standard bikes with standard seat is from 835mm to 855mm.
Seat height for an XRX Low with standard seat is from 790mm to 810mm.
Triumph's optional accessory high seat adds 20mm = 830 in the higher position on an XRX low = 25mm less than your usual preferred seat height on a normal height bike.
So if you normally like the seat in the high position, an XRX Low maybe too low for you even if you had the the optional accessory high seat in the high position.

Offline Jetpilot5

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 06:05:03 PM
Perfect explanation. Thank you very much. One of the reasons I'm looking to move on from my R1200RS is to try and get more leg room so it sounds like I should avoid the low bike.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:54:31 PM
You really want to know the seat to peg ratio of the low compared to the standard bike to get a true picture. It may or may not be the same, I rode the low with the seat in the normal position and it felt similar to the regular bike. I guess a dealer could tell you for sure.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 10:49:18 PM
*Originally Posted by Jetpilot5 [+]
Perfect explanation. Thank you very much. One of the reasons I'm looking to move on from my R1200RS is to try and get more leg room so it sounds like I should avoid the low bike.

You may want to try one - reason I say is that I'm just trading my XRX-Low for a BMW R1250GS (The Triumph just has too much top end weight for me these days unfortunately, and recently I tipped over trapping my foot and damaging the nerves - as such I've now lost confidence that I can hold her if she starts to tip)) and I find the standard R1250GS a better seat setup than my Triumph (where even with the low I'm not flat footed). Reason being (in what I can make out) is that the Triumph seat is actually wider than the BMW seat so "splays the legs" so to speak.

To be perfectly honest, I find little difference - if any - in height between the "low" seat and the standard heated seat I have fitted. The difference more is in the suspension lengths (and some owners reduce the height of their standard TEX's using the 40mm Lust links - so the same height as a Low!)

Offline Jetpilot5

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 11:24:43 PM
Suspension Low Front 168  Stock 190 22mm less
                           Rear  158  Stock 193 35mm less

Just to muddy the water a little more, the suspension difference is accounting for a 22mm drop in the front and a 35mm drop in the rear.
Lets call it an average 30mm drop at the seat due to the suspension.
If 30mm of height loss is due to the suspension we can add 30mm to the seat height of the low to make all things equal and say the effective seat height of the low with the tall option seat is 860mm.
A touch taller than the standard bike. Adding the 30mm back in removes the shortened suspension from the calculation.
So running the optional tall seat in the high position could actually add maybe 5mm to leg room if measured from seat to peg?
I would still have plenty of legroom just a shorter reach to the ground and still have more suspension travel than my R1200RS has.
Is this making any sense? :087:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 03:55:38 PM
Is this making any sense? :087:

:187: Sorry, no, it doesn't make sense to me.....

we can add 30mm to the seat height of the low to make all things equal

Maybe I'm just confused (easily done), but where are you gaining this 30mm from?

Triumph says the XRX Low's max seat height with the stock seat is 810mm. The optional accessory high seat adds 20mm. That makes 830mm, not your figure of 860mm which according to Triumph is higher than a non-Low bike with the stock seat in the high position.

Offline Jetpilot5

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 02:15:32 AM
What I"m trying to determine is how much of the seat height reduction on the low model is due to a different seat and how much is due to the lower suspension. The seat height measurements are from the ground and what I'm interested in is the distance from the seat to the pegs. If the distance from the seat to the pegs on the low is the same as the standard bike with a simple seat change then a low bike would work OK for me.

And I never answered your question. I figured the 30mm is approximately the drop in height measured at the seat just due to the lowered suspension. A 22mm drop at the front and 35mm drop at the back, I assume measured at the axles. If that's true then only 15mm of the reduced seat height is because of the seat itself, 45 mm total between the seat and the lower suspension. In that case the tall seat should get it back pretty close to where the standard bike is.

I'm still not sure that's very clear but it may be the best I can do. I appreciate everyone's input. :002:
Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:10:22 AM by Jetpilot5

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 10:57:32 AM
With a 34" inseam I just wouldn't buy the low, it just seems like a big compromise to get a good deal. There must be loads of good value regular height 2nd hand machines out there. I can flat foot with the seat in the high position with a Lust 20mm lowering kit, your knees are going to be around your ears!  :027: 

nonskid