Author Topic: Well I’m still here.  (Read 1608 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
Well I’m still here.
on: August 01, 2020, 03:55:35 PM
Well I WAS going to sell my XC and try something new.  Had to postpone and then corona hit. Used the pandemic to get a great deal on a 4Runner and have been fixing that up for overlanding. So long story short, I’m keeping the bike and making some mods to the suspension and lighting. Good news is I have 10k miles on the new head and it is still running great.  Figure I will keep it until it blows up.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Well I’m still here.
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 05:24:45 PM
 :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 06:19:44 PM
 :160:

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:30:12 AM
Glad you're still here with us A.T. :821:
Jon

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 12:31:52 PM
Im still here too... :001:

I  bought a 2018 S1000XR last week that Im waiting the delivery of....Im not selling the TEX though,its a good bike so Ill keep it around for a bit.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 01:01:31 AM
SWEET! :028:
Jon

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 04:08:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Im still here too... :001:

I  bought a 2018 S1000XR last week that Im waiting the delivery of....Im not selling the TEX though,its a good bike so Ill keep it around for a bit.

Just curious, I test rode the first generation of this bike and the vibes through the bars and pegs were pretty intense.  Is this the 2nd generation and if so, how is the vibration now?
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 04:17:36 PM
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
Just curious, I test rode the first generation of this bike and the vibes through the bars and pegs were pretty intense.  Is this the 2nd generation and if so, how is the vibration now?

2015 to 2019 are basically the same bike with subtle changes between model years ... BMW supposedly addressed the vibration issue in 2017 and I have read about others fixing it themselves with heavier bar ends... ..this is a 2018 and I felt no vibration to speak of.

Online jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 06:11:02 PM
I test rode a 2019 model before ever learning of any vibration issues. I wouldn't say I am particularly sensitive but the first thing that struck me was the the intense tingling through the bars at certain rev band to the extent I don't believe anyone could just have ignored them on that particular bike. So I wasn't surprised to see how often they got mentioned when I read up about them afterwards.

However so many owners are are completely happy with the S1000XR that I guess that there must be a fair degree of variation somewhere in the mix, be it manufacturing, running in, riding style or whatever.

@Crosshairs your new steed looks absolutely cracking, so much nicer than the GS to my eyes, I hope you enjoy a great many trouble free miles on her :152: and the Tiger too :002:

Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:16:42 PM by jannerman

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 02:12:29 PM
I had a S1000XR and sold it for my TEX, though they did address some of the issues I had with the bike.

1. alternator had too low of an output to run heated gloves along with the heated grips.
2. Gearing, 1st gear was too high and 6th too low.  They are spread a little from the RR but they needed spaced out a little more, which they have done on the second gen. 
3. vibes, I put heavier bar ends in and they worked for me but because of the vibes I couldn't keep a headlight in the damn thing.  They have now gone to LED.
4. Last issue I had was not the bikes fault, I had issues with the dealer, sales was great but service sucked.  They wanted to charge me a half of an hour of shop time to turn off the change oil light (literally takes 1 minute).   They pretty much had the attitude of "Just write us a blank check and we will fill out the rest when the bike is done."   I laughed when they went out of business.

I would consider the second generation but I wouldn't go back to a first gen.

Recent Topics