Author Topic: Well I’m still here.  (Read 1609 times)

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Re: Well I’m still here.
Reply #20 on: August 15, 2020, 01:56:41 AM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
BMW really does not want owners working on their own bikes.
Probably the case with all brands these days, especially when you need a dealer-tool to manage the ECU.
I'm happy to let people more skilled than me work on my bike, and pay them a fair price to do it.
But that isn't necessarily the dealer.  I once had the engine-spanner left illuminated after a service by the local (only) Triumph dealer service dept.

WRT to tyres, while I could perhaps buy online and fit my own, I'd rather let a local tyre guy do it.  I don't know if I pay too much, but he fits tyres for free.  (He also fits them to loose wheels for customers.)
He stocks a range of tyres, but will get in specials if I want.  I usually just ask him for his opinion on what he has.  (I've been using the Scorpions for a while.)
While fitting the tyre he checks the brake pads.  If I need new ones, he fits them for the cost of the pads.  He balances the wheels with gear I don't have (or want) at home.
Why would I do it myself?

I watched him fitting a tyre to a BMW with great care.  Evidently if you do the wrong thing, its easy to wreck their TPMS, and also affect their ABS.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Well I’m still here.
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 06:36:45 PM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Probably the case with all brands these days, especially when you need a dealer-tool to manage the ECU.
I'm happy to let people more skilled than me work on my bike, and pay them a fair price to do it.
But that isn't necessarily the dealer.  I once had the engine-spanner left illuminated after a service by the local (only) Triumph dealer service dept.

WRT to tyres, while I could perhaps buy online and fit my own, I'd rather let a local tyre guy do it.  I don't know if I pay too much, but he fits tyres for free.  (He also fits them to loose wheels for customers.)
He stocks a range of tyres, but will get in specials if I want.  I usually just ask him for his opinion on what he has.  (I've been using the Scorpions for a while.)
While fitting the tyre he checks the brake pads.  If I need new ones, he fits them for the cost of the pads.  He balances the wheels with gear I don't have (or want) at home.
Why would I do it myself?

I watched him fitting a tyre to a BMW with great care.  Evidently if you do the wrong thing, its easy to wreck their TPMS, and also affect their ABS.
Sounds like this guy is a keeper.  :028:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics