Author Topic: Decision made on new bike  (Read 653 times)

Offline knapdog

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Barry
Decision made on new bike
on: August 04, 2020, 07:31:36 AM
Having written off my Honda cb1300 last autumn ( I was bruised but fine) I have been looking for a tourer ever since.
My Plymouth- Santander ferry is booked for next year and I have at last found a bike replacement.
I thought hard and long over the Tiger 1200 Xrx Low.  I love the looks and have been very impressed with the reviews, particularly the YouTube videos from Xcatel. Brilliant, Terry.
I joined the forum to glean as much as I could about the big Tiger.
However, I've decided not to go for one due, in the main to the top heaviness. In every other regard I think it would have been brilliant.
For me (5'9" 30" inside leg) being flat footed is essential, also, even though the Low could have done the job.
I've gone for a 2017 Honda cbf1000 with 4078 miles that I purchased for £6995. It's a one owner and is MINT.
I had one six years ago and was very happy with it. The seat is low with an upright stance and with little weight on your wrists. It averages 55mpg, has all the luggage and importantly the Honda reliability. It is also very comfortable.
What it doesn't have is all the luxurious extras of the Tiger apart from ABS, Combined braking and heated grips. In other words it's back to basic biking which some would say is not a bad thing.
It has a detuned Fireblade engine that's bulletproof and with plenty of torque.
Funnily enough there don't seem to be many sports tourers around any more with the rise of adventure bikes but the latter are nearly all too tall for me although I was very tempted also by the new Tiger 900 ( I previously had a Tiger 800). I also considered the Kawasaki Ninja 1000sx but again wasn't flat footed enough.
This has been a brilliant forum. I haven't belonged to any forum that has as many worldwide contributors. Thank you for putting up with me for a short while. Keep enjoying your Tigers.
My new steed....

Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:38:55 AM by knapdog
Stay between the hedges!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Decision made on new bike
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:31:45 AM
Had to ride one for two months (when my T12 was grounded for complete software failure).
Really an excellent sport tourer, with that easy-peasy Honda touch (it does make everything easy).

That said, at 185 cm tall, I couldn't wait to get my torquey high tourer back ;-)

Enjoy your new ride (which certainly won't see any mechanic ever, but for regular servicing).

Online Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 09:22:07 AM
Had the Mk1 version of CBF1000 for about 5 years - brilliant bike.  Might be basic in terms of equipment and suspension but does everything you need very well.  I did change rear shock for a Hagon unit.

Enjoy
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 09:34:18 AM
Kind words knapdog, thankyou. Yes, you've got to buy what suits you and if the ergos, weight and all the other little things don't add up for you they just don't. That Honda looks smashing, great find at a great price, Bon Voyage!

Online Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 03:09:32 PM
That's one sweet looking ride, Knapdog. All the best as you ride safe & often! :821:
Jon

Offline knapdog

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Barry
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 03:12:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
That's one sweet looking ride, Knapdog. All the best as you ride safe & often! :821:

Thanks, Jon.
Stay safe yourself over there across the water!
Stay between the hedges!