Author Topic: After much deliberation  (Read 799 times)

Offline helpmaboab

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Tried the rest. Always end up with the Big Tiger
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
After much deliberation
on: August 10, 2020, 01:33:34 PM
I have decided to keep Tiggy.
Had many test rides on the competition also the new Kwak 1000sx Ninja, they all had good and bad, Ducati and KTM mad V (or L twin) too lumpy and vibey and felt like they wanted to stall and throw me off the bike in town, but the KTM was a hooligan bike.  Tenere under powered and old.  Ninja, great bike but over 100 miles the wrists were getting sore (both were broken in another smash), and I felt a bit cramped.
The only real competitor is the Panzer 1250gs, good bike a bit vanilla, but by the time you spent on upgrading from the extensive BMW  accessory wish list to the same level as my XRT then it gets awfy expensive.
So in summary,  unless the replacement Tiger 1200 is a vast improvement over the Gen3 then this one is a keeper for many years.
Enjoy the rest of the summer folks,  I'm in Aberdeen in lockdown again  :003:
ps, I found the best setting for the TSAS, Sport and just north of Comfort.
My local roads are a mixture of fast A and B country roads and when I'm allowed, Highland single track and B roads.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Re: After much deliberation
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 04:40:51 PM
good decisions - its a number of things together that makes this bike so good - mind you i am old Skool still on gen 1 from the start  :047:   
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline chris1982

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:44:37 PM
Good choice, that was more or less the same decision I made last year when I changed from my Tiger Sport. I liked the 1250GS, lovely motor but to get the equivalent spec bike, it would've been £3-4k more than the XRX I got a deal on. I also found the 'dynamic' mode for the BMW's suspension a bit choppy on back roads and preferred the normal setting, which the dealer looked crestfallen about when I told him! I like the Tiger set to 'Sport' and the suspension about 80% towards sport for Yorkshire roads but put it back to 'Road' and right in the middle for motorways, etc. This bike will be good for a few years yet so enjoy riding it in the Highlands when you're allowed out again.  :306:

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 11:05:44 PM
Thinking of changing I test rode a BMW  :187: and a KTM   :084:
Bought the KTM  :007:
Sold my Street Triple  :006:
But kept my Gen 2 XRT   :467:

Online NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 02:09:46 PM
Well, been there done that...

And by the look of it, the upcoming T12 could be somewhat of a setback: probably inefficient headlight, less road presence, still bugged with the fecking keyless gimmick and last but not least, a large hole in my already dangerously voiding wallet.

So as of now, I'll keep my '18 and I'd recommend the same to everyone here ;-)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 04:36:33 PM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]

Yes, let them iron out the issues in the first incarnation then trade-up for the Gen 5 in 2023  :169:

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 05:13:47 PM
I went from Gen 1 to Gen 2 XRT early '18 after testing GS, RT, KTM, FJR & Versys1000.  The end of line offer was too good to miss and the XRT gives lighter clutch (good for arthritic hand), much better brakes and I thought better suspension.  However I still prefer the handing of the Gen 1 on narrow tyres (I had upgraded the suspension).  Probably not going back but highly unlikely to change XRT for several years yet. (and very happy having to put key in ignition)
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 02:47:38 AM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Well, been there done that...

And by the look of it, the upcoming T12 could be somewhat of a setback: probably inefficient headlight, less road presence, still bugged with the fecking keyless gimmick and last but not least, a large hole in my already dangerously voiding wallet.

Feeling the same here, I think the Gen 3 may turn out to be the sweet spot in this range.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

nonskid