Author Topic: Questions regarding Gen 3 TEX  (Read 1649 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Questions regarding Gen 3 TEX
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 10:12:41 AM
*Originally Posted by Triple3 [+]
I have a 2019 XR with manual suspension(WP) and a key for the ignition and find it an excellent bike without the gizmos, plus a friend has same year bike with keyless ignition (XRT) and has had problems with keyless fob and TFT screen. Same bike with less gizmos to go wrong.
And if you are a much heavier weight than normal changing out the springs for a different spring rate is easy, no TSAS to upset. If I was going to travel the world (I'm not) on a T12 it would be the XR too. The engine/mechanical suspension is exactly the same as the other models and they are the two major outstanding features of this bike. Once you set the damping on a TSAS system it never changes unless you change it so it is the same as the XR, just a bit more convenient to change it with the joystick that's all. It really is electronically adjusted damping, nothing active about it*. As for the rear preload, the TSAS swingarm position sensor is very handy and brilliant if you have lots of differing loads but it is not hard to wind the rear preload adjuster up or down either and most of us will have a fixed weight ride or maybe a touring weight too! As much as I like the TSAS I would be tempted to buy a manually adjustable bike next time, it is not that inconvenient. Oh, and I would love that key!

* - there is one stupid exception but we went over that in this forum before.

Online jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 10:57:27 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Oh, and I would love that key!

Ain't that the truth! Keyless is the scariest bit about the top of the line gen3s... it's fickle and can scupper an otherwise functional bike in an instant.

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XR
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 12:06:25 PM
I would not have bought a GEN3 if it had not been offered with a key and very good (WP) manual suspension as well as normal clocks. (the XR) so Triumph would have missed a sale. I have ridden the XRT and can not feel any difference with the suspension. When I took it for its first years service 3 weeks ago the workshop guy commented on the fact it was the model with the least issues due to the fact it has no gizmos.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 02:17:17 PM
the workshop guy commented on the fact it was the model with the least issues due to the fact it has no gizmos.
Well, basic statistics could have this explained by the very low sales figures of the XR ;-)

Offline Triple3

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XR
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 02:41:59 PM
Agree Nik most people seem to want the electronic gizmos, however my friend wishes he had not have purchased his and would not purchase another bike with keyless ignition.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 01:41:01 AM
Agree Nik most people seem to want the electronic gizmos, however my friend wishes he had not have purchased his and would not purchase another bike with keyless ignition.
With many bikes these days, you don't get a choice to not have keyless ignition.

I have had a bit of fun with my keyfob.  Mainly out-of-range errors when it clearly isn't.  Only twice has it refused to start the bike, both solved by wheeling it away from the initial position.  (I didn't try the key over the receiver trick.)
Let's not overstate the negatives of the keyfob.  I'm neutral about mine.  I'd probably prefer to have a normal key, but it's no big deal for me.  The convenience of not fishing about for the key every time I get on the bike is something easily forgotten.

I bought the XRt for the gizmos.   :002:  (But I didn't want spokes.)  If I bought again, I would do it again.  But that's just me.  Some people don't see value in the cruise control, while I love mine.  Horses for courses.

Offline RaglandT

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tigers 800xc-1200XRT
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 02:49:07 AM
Speaking of Gizmos, the new Wing has Apple CarPlay ... By comparison, Triumph is old school ...

Offline Jetpilot5

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XRx
  • City / Town: Bloomington, IL
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 03:29:08 AM
I'm also not a fan of keyless start. Just a needles point of failure. I looked long and hard to find my BMW without keyless and ended up driving 10 hours to buy it as there were only four in the country at the time. On the XRx I'm picking up soon I got the keyless, not because I wanted it, but because I wanted the TFT dash. I test rode a 2017 model with the standard dash and thought it was pretty cumbersome to use with all the different settings now available. The TFT was much more straightforward. Hopefully it gives me no trouble but on my test ride I noticed the key out of range message. Where was the key? In the salesman's pocket. I made sure not to accidentally kill it during my ride. I figure I'm off to a wonderful start. :015: :001:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 10:21:19 AM
*Originally Posted by RaglandT [+]
Speaking of Gizmos, the new Wing has Apple CarPlay ... By comparison, Triumph is old school ...
But at what price! The Goldwing looks to be a superb bike but the cost, it makes your eyes water, €36,000 for the DCT model here. I was registered for a test drive for the 2018 release but cancelled once the pricing was announced. I can live without Apple Car play for the cost difference thanks! I think most of the bike connectivity systems out their are fairly pointless, my phone connects directly to my headset, why do I need the bike to be involved? I thought I was going to buy the Triumph connectivity feature "to be released any day now"  :008: but the more I read up on owners experience I think I may pass on that too.

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Griston, Norfolk
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 04:39:00 PM
I've just ridden an 'Alpine Edition' today which is basically the XRX with added quickshifter, arrow can and a paint job.

I owned a Gen1 Explorer for 5 years and previously tested a Gen3 XCA when the model was released in 2018. I love all of them but to answer your questions from my own point of view:

1. Vibes. I often felt them through the right bar on my Gen1, felt none at all on the Gen3 XCA but today on the Alpine again felt some through the right bar. Not as bad as Gen1 though and wouldn't put me off.
2. Weight. Still top heavy but to me feels much better than Gen1. Far more nimble and also today I tried some tight, full lock 1st gear U-turns. No wobbles at all and gave enough confidence to keep feet on pegs.
3. Suspension. I thought the Gen1 was OK but the TSAS along with adjustable modes is light years ahead. It's one of the things swaying me back to a 1200 instead of a 900 Rally Pro.
4. Brakes. Again, vast improvement over the Gen1. Maybe not as strong as your KTM or a sportsbike, but they've got a lot of weight to stop and do it well.

The Gen3 is a great bike.

Recent Topics

nonskid