Author Topic: Trailering the Tiger 1200  (Read 487 times)

Offline Jetpilot5

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRx
  • City / Town: Bloomington, IL
Trailering the Tiger 1200
on: August 15, 2020, 03:34:19 AM
The dealer I'm buying my Tiger from is 250 miles away. I'm planning on trailering my BMW up to do the trade and then bringing the Tiger home the next day. I've never tied down a bike with hand guards before. I have soft tie downs and a Canyon Dancer Bar Harness that will work fine on the BMW but won't work with the Tiger. Is it best to tie the front from the lower triple clamps? Any tips for trailer transport of this bike? Thanks!

:720:

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Trailering the Tiger 1200
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 09:06:58 AM
Why not remove the handguards? It only needs basic tools & can be done in a few minutes. Only problem I can foresee is if your bar strap isn't long enough for the Tiger's bars.

But I've never used a bar strap. I always use a wheel chock for the front wheel & ratchet straps around the forks above the lower triple tree, and more straps around the rear frame.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 06:38:36 PM
If the bike has upper engine guards, I use those and a wheel chock.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TeXRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Austin, Tex
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 07:11:56 PM
Soft-ties around the lower triple-tree's and again on the grab handles on either side of the seat. Push or ride the bike onto the trailer and stay seated while a helper attaches the ratchet straps to the loose ends of the soft-ties and anchors on the trailer. Tighten enough you keep the suspension loaded when you get off the bike just a bit but not too much. Make sure none of the straps are touching any body work or exhaust and secure the rachet straps by closing the ratchet lever and then tieing a knot just below the ratchet assembly.
I've trailered my bike this way and never an issue. Just be careful undoing the straps when taking your bike off the trailer with the suspension loaded. A front wheel clock can help on slippery trailer surfaces. Good luck

Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:28:38 PM by Tex XRT

Offline Jetpilot5

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRx
  • City / Town: Bloomington, IL
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 08:39:24 PM
 :464: No engine bars to strap to but the above picture is worth a thousand words. Will use the lower triple clamp and rear grab handles.

Is that a converted boat trailer? If it is, that’s pretty cool.

Offline TeXRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Austin, Tex
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 09:31:41 PM
LOL! Yeah, took my wife’s SeaDoo trailer and converted it into a motorcycle trailer. It’s since been converted into a dual motorcycle carrier, thanks.

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Pro
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa '69
  • City / Town: Swindon
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 09:57:56 PM
i used a front wheel chock then, straps to the engine bars, rear footpegs and the rear grab handles.  probably over did it, but better safe than sorry. :152:  good luck
TTruckie

Recent Topics