Author Topic: Bite  (Read 2132 times)

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Bite
on: August 16, 2020, 10:51:10 AM
I’ve now put 3,000 miles on my XRx and am loving it - apart from a couple of issues.

I noticed on day one how late the clutch bites - almost at the end of lever travel. . . whatever adjustment position the lever is in.

It feels like a clutch normally does when it’s badly worn and about to start slipping. Are all these bikes like this and can anything be done to get a better bite point?  Or is this simply a characteristic of “torque assist”, whatever that means?

Also noticed that shifting up from third to fourth gear is often clunky, no matter what technique I adopt, hot or cold oil, preload or not, fully declutch or lever just squeezed, quickly or slowly . . .

And the shaft itself seems very clunky when I’m crawling along in second or third in very heavy urban traffic.

In short, can I trust this bike’s transmission to deliver the many years of service for which I bought my first and last brand new vehicle? 

Thanks for any input.

Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:02:56 AM by mcchoc

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Bite
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 01:37:10 PM
The clutch bite is like that on all the bikes, some try and mitigate with dog leg levers to bring the bite back to a more manageable finger span. I do find the gearbox a bit clunky when I manually shift but no specific issues between gears, my quick shifter makes it a lot smoother and I would recommend you consider one as an option. But I don't get any transmission backlash, none at all, I don't like the sound of that. I'm at around 25K Km om a 2018 XCa.
Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:39:10 PM by XCaTel

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 09:05:52 PM
*Originally Posted by mcchoc [+]
I’ve now put 3,000 miles on my XRx and am loving it - apart from a couple of issues.

I noticed on day one how late the clutch bites - almost at the end of lever travel. . . whatever adjustment position the lever is in.

It feels like a clutch normally does when it’s badly worn and about to start slipping. Are all these bikes like this and can anything be done to get a better bite point?  Or is this simply a characteristic of “torque assist”, whatever that means?

Also noticed that shifting up from third to fourth gear is often clunky, no matter what technique I adopt, hot or cold oil, preload or not, fully declutch or lever just squeezed, quickly or slowly . . .

And the shaft itself seems very clunky when I’m crawling along in second or third in very heavy urban traffic.

In short, can I trust this bike’s transmission to deliver the many years of service for which I bought my first and last brand new vehicle? 

Thanks for any input.

The clutch grab can be fixed with adjustable levers....I have shortys on mine and it grabs right off the bar which is where I like it..as far as the trans goes, ....  these are very clunky.....its just how they are, ..switching between my other bikes Im always amazed at how smooth the transmissions are compared to the TEX.... but 26K and counting on mine and even though its about as smooth as rocks, its been fine

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Pro
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa '69
  • City / Town: Swindon
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 09:47:16 PM
there are a number of threads on the late clutch bite.  I drilled the hole in the brass barrel a little longer for the pin to sit in near the lever pivot, that brings the bite closer.
TTruckie

Offline Icy

• Explorer God
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 03:54:38 AM
*Originally Posted by mcchoc [+]

I put 41K on just one 2012 edition in two years whilst banging it on every rock I could find in New England and the transmission held. The two following Tigers are the same - including the current 2018 XCx. I trust these things with my life - I have absolute confidence in the transmission, brake, final drive and the engine.

My 2 cents
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 08:54:42 AM
*Originally Posted by TTruckie [+]
there are a number of threads on the late clutch bite.  I drilled the hole in the brass barrel a little longer for the pin to sit in near the lever pivot, that brings the bite closer.

TTruckie, could you explain that a bit more? I'm trying to wrap my head around it but fail to see how drilling the hole a little longer will make the pin sit closer?
I just swapped my original levers to the extendable and foldable ones from Jaybeebikerbits.
It's a bit better, but I could do with a little shorter even...

Thanks in advance! Xtof

Offline mcchoc

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Goole
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:46:40 AM
Thanks to all respondents.  I feel less anxious now about the bike’s potential longevity, especially as I have always treated all my bikes very gently with perhaps too much mechanical sympathy.

Of course, the clutch lever can be changed or modified or adjusted to put the “bite” point wherever the rider prefers. 

Putting that aside for the moment, consider the full range of movement available on the slave cylinder  - to me it feels as if maybe only 10% of that range is used for clutch being fully engaged, with the other 90% for slipping/disengagement.

In other words, wherever the lever bites, it feels that the clutch just doesn’t have much “meat” on the plates . . . I hope I’m wrong.

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 10:16:59 AM
I like to think that I have big hands - but I did struggle with the clutch bite point on my GEN2.

I did the same as Xtof and got the adjustable, extendable, collapsible levers from JayBee - I thought they were good value.

For me it solved my issue. I've since moved them to my GEN3 and not being a great user of the Quickshifter I find them very comfortable. Cheers

Dave
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with TPMS, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, and Givi Trekker Outback 58L Top Box.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 07:19:35 PM
To the OP, I don't know if the XRx has riding modes?
On my XRt I leave it in position RAIN and combined with the Jaybee adjustable levers everything goes really smoothly, especially noticeable with my GF as pillion: no more helmet banging :008:

There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Icy

• Explorer God
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 09:41:35 PM
*Originally Posted by Tiger T.O. [+]
To the OP, I don't know if the XRx has riding modes?
On my XRt I leave it in position RAIN and combined with the Jaybee adjustable levers everything goes really smoothly, especially noticeable with my GF as pillion: no more helmet banging :008:

:464:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/