Author Topic: New Triumph Trident for 2021  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
New Triumph Trident for 2021
on: August 25, 2020, 02:58:41 PM
New Triumph Trident model teased for 2021 at unannounced reveal:

Also on Triumph website:

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/roadsters/trident

Full spec coming in a few weeks apparently  :038:

:821:

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: New Triumph Trident for 2021
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 04:19:45 PM
Unexpected news = I haven't seen any rumours about this model in the press. Have they caught everyone by surprise? It's not the small capacity Triumph that has been speculated about for the last decade.
I guess this not only fills a gap in the Triumph model range but also replaces and/or kills off the 660cc A2 licence Street Triple = a variant I have never knowingly seen on the road, or in a showroom, or reviewed online or in press (so a sales flop they’d rather forget?).
Superficially it looks good but what it will be like for real is another matter = I’m somewhat “blinded by the white”, and there’s no sign of rear number plate hanger, indicators, mirrors etc etc.
What little they have revealed of the spec looks like they’ve built it down to a price (ie cheap front brake calipers) = only time will tell how well this will fit with Triumph’s projected image as a premium brand.
I really hope its successful and gets a lot of new riders to buy Triumphs, but until I see more details I’ll reserve my judgement.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 07:16:14 PM
I think it will be a great addition to the range. Built to a price, maybe so but what isn't? You already have the choice of a 765 Street Triple with Brembos, trick suspension, racetrack tyres etc and the demand for a more reasonable bike with "enough" for the road will be very welcome. When it's released I hope people don't trash it for what it isn't but comment on it for what it is. Sometimes our big Tiger is a bit much for a short spin and this light (by comparison) and simple roadster would make a great second bike. I love it.
Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:14:22 PM by XCaTel

Offline jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 07:38:49 PM
I like what little I've seen of it so far, kinda reminds me of the old Suzuki Bandits, both in style and ethos. Nice thinking on Triumphs part. + Really, really love the name!  :001:
Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:40:20 PM by jannerman

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 10:43:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Unexpected news = I haven't seen any rumours about this model in the press. Have they caught everyone by surprise? It's not the small capacity Triumph that has been speculated about for the last decade.
I guess this not only fills a gap in the Triumph model range but also replaces and/or kills off the 660cc A2 licence Street Triple = a variant I have never knowingly seen on the road, or in a showroom, or reviewed online or in press (so a sales flop they’d rather forget?).
Superficially it looks good but what it will be like for real is another matter = I’m somewhat “blinded by the white”, and there’s no sign of rear number plate hanger, indicators, mirrors etc etc.
What little they have revealed of the spec looks like they’ve built it down to a price (ie cheap front brake calipers) = only time will tell how well this will fit with Triumph’s projected image as a premium brand.
I really hope its successful and gets a lot of new riders to buy Triumphs, but until I see more details I’ll reserve my judgement.

I read earlier that they will have the number plate come off the swing-arm so it doesn't spoil the rear end.  :467:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 07:38:31 AM
They needed somewhere else to slot in the 900 engine after spending all that money on it  :084:
Should be a fun bike.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 07:47:48 AM
*Originally Posted by Hax [+]
They needed somewhere else to slot in the 900 engine after spending all that money on it  :084:
Should be a fun bike.
I very much doubt that it will be a 900 given the target competition. Triumph state it is going to be up against the likes of the Yamaha MT-07, Kawasaki Z650 and Honda CB650R and will be priced accordingly. A reuse and modify of the older 675 engine more like.

Online JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 10:57:28 AM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I very much doubt that it will be a 900 given the target competition. Triumph state it is going to be up against the likes of the Yamaha MT-07, Kawasaki Z650 and Honda CB650R and will be priced accordingly. A reuse and modify of the older 675 engine more like.

:0461:

I thought "Naked Daytona 675" when I saw the model.
Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 02:31:00 PM
How is this going to fit in with the Street Triple, aren't they very overlapping in customer base?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 02:39:31 PM
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
How is this going to fit in with the Street Triple, aren't they very overlapping in customer base?
It's going to be about £1000-£1100 less and an everyday roadster rather than a sporty naked like the Street Triple. No doubt it will steal some sales from the Street Triple but its a market they are not addressing at the moment so the net gain will be for Triumph.