Author Topic: And my next bike will be...  (Read 7653 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: And my next bike will be...
Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 09:22:26 AM
If the next 1200 has similar changes as between old 800 & new 900 I'm sure it will be a great bike.
However it will a significantly different bike, and sadly not a development or progression of our 1200s.
This will put many of us off, but it might attract new owners.
It will be a tough market for T to crack as by then it will have to compete with the V4 Multistrada & new KTM SA unless they are only interested in taking on the BMW GS

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Ojai
Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 07:13:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
It will be a tough market for T to crack as by then it will have to compete with the V4 Multistrada & new KTM SA unless they are only interested in taking on the BMW GS

And BMW isn't slowing down as far as progress goes. I love my Tiger, great bike! But for me, it goes beyond just the bike. When I bought Triumph, I bought into the company and their support, or lack of. I have had bike issues with my Triumph bikes and those issues have always been met with long delays and trouble just getting parts shipped to the U.S. from the U.K. My confidence level with Triumph is pretty low and I am leaning more toward BMW going forward. I don't like the fact that BMW is more expensive to own or at least get into, but support is a big factor for me when buying a bike and even though both brands have issues with their ADV bikes, I feel BMW is going to handle it better. They've been doing it longer and have more readily available parts from what I can tell. Also, the BMW shop near me gives a loaner GS or GSA if one's personal bike goes into the shop. Plus, shops that work on Triumph work on every other bike on the planet, too, and that's if you can find someone that can work on it. BMW shops work on BMW's, that is pretty much what you see in their service dept. There are more available BMW service shops than there are Triumph. I would feel better about owning a bike I know can be worked on by someone who knows the bike rather than taking a Triumph to someone who claims they know but really don't (been there and done that already).

Then there's technology, you either love it or hate it...I love it and want it. I watch both companies and BMW is moving ahead with their technology faster than Triumph is...I like that! Then there's the aftermarket and the 2 don't even compare. You can find anything for the GS/GSA but trying to find extras for the Tiger is a lot tougher! I enjoy farkling and that is a very limited option with the Tiger. Look at Triumph Connectivity for instance, I want that for my TFT, have been waiting for it but there is no light at the end of that tunnel! I have counted it gone, not gonna happen for us that own the bikes with the original TFT (before the 7" display happened). I look at BMW and they are coming out with BMW connectivity, and it's gonna be better. Triumph supposedly offers turn-by-turn with their version of it but BMW gives you turn-by-turn AND the map display on the TFT. Little things, I know, but these are the things that I watch and look for.

So, my next bike? Even though I have said I am waiting to see what the next Tiger looks like, I'm not 100% sure I like the looks and styling of the 900 the more I look at it and I am sure they are going to follow those lines. I like the beefy look of the GSA. I'm a large framed individual so I need a "girthy" bike to look like it belongs under me. My next bike will probably be a GSA, as hard as that is to say. Once you've lost confidence in a company it's really difficult to go with them for anything else. Just my 2 cents worth and I apologize if I ruffled feathers here...this is just my take and how I feel. :031:
"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding."

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 11:44:06 PM
*Originally Posted by mike2411 [+]
Just my 2 cents worth and I apologize if I ruffled feathers here...this is just my take and how I feel. :031:

No need to apologize. Don't. Just... No.

Everybody's different, looks for something else, has different experiences. Your experience is as valuable as the next one's.

Ride. Ride with happyness, pride or joy... We care about you to be safe, and have a ride you have confidence in.
The rest is personal opinions and personal affinity.

Just wave when we pass or I might kick your ass, big frame or not  :007: :745:

Cheers! Xtof

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Ojai
Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 11:48:59 PM
 :745:
"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding."

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
Reply #24 on: December 23, 2020, 03:55:35 AM
Speaking of 900s.  I see Yamaha has replaced the 900 FJ09/Tracer with a completely new bike, frame, motor, the works.  I owned a 2015 FJ for about 6 months and really wanted to love it but it didn't happen, really vibey motor and so-so build quality.  Luckily I hadn't sold my Tiger 1050 so it's still in the stable and the FJ is gone.  I like the looks of the new Tracer, price appears to be similar to the 900 GT Pro but includes saddlebags I believe.  Be curious to see the reviews.
Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:57:35 AM by pcarnut
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 02:51:58 PM
I think I could be tempted to go in the opposite direction, less complexity rather than more. Judging by the popularity of the Yamaha T7 a lot of people feel that way too. Bikes are so complex now you are almost wedded to the official dealer because of the need for firmware updates, special service tools and diagnosis tools. What happens when you active cruise control packs in on your Ducati V4S, how much to fix out of warranty? I wouldn't mind if Triumph just dropped out of the techno race and made the Gen 4 a really analogue bike with a comfortable seat, quality suspension and a good load capacity. Maybe that's what they need to do and get out of the techno race in a category they sell a small quantity of bikes in?

Offline Xtof

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 03:36:45 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I think I could be tempted to go in the opposite direction, less complexity rather than more. Judging by the popularity of the Yamaha T7 a lot of people feel that way too. Bikes are so complex now you are almost wedded to the official dealer because of the need for firmware updates, special service tools and diagnosis tools. What happens when you active cruise control packs in on your Ducati V4S, how much to fix out of warranty? I wouldn't mind if Triumph just dropped out of the techno race and made the Gen 4 a really analogue bike with a comfortable seat, quality suspension and a good load capacity. Maybe that's what they need to do and get out of the techno race in a category they sell a small quantity of bikes in?

2nd that entirely!

T7 is first on my wish list indeed.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 07:40:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Xtof [+]
2nd that entirely!

T7 is first on my wish list indeed.

Go buy a Royal Enfield!
I'm fine with the technology and want it on the bike and in the car there are very few electrical/technological breakdowns and those of us who remember standing the side of the road in the wet and cold trying find why the bike died wouldn't want to go backwards.

Offline TinnedBeans

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Stockport
Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 08:18:09 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I think I could be tempted to go in the opposite direction, less complexity rather than more... I wouldn't mind if Triumph just dropped out of the techno race and made the Gen 4 a really analogue bike with a comfortable seat, quality suspension and a good load capacity. Maybe that's what they need to do and get out of the techno race in a category they sell a small quantity of bikes in?
Hear, hear. Exactly right. They can't win or even compete in the techno race. Too much ground to make up, too many alternatives. But imagine that turbine smooth Tex engine with top notch, manually adjustable suspension, sweet manual gearbox and best in class brakes  :152:

Offline bowlerman

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Angels Camp Ca.
Reply #29 on: December 24, 2020, 12:50:21 AM
I just added a T7.