Author Topic: And my next bike will be...  (Read 7342 times)

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Re: And my next bike will be...
Reply #50 on: December 28, 2020, 07:24:53 PM
It'll be a few weeks before I arrange a test ride now as in CV19 isolation plus snow is on the way but when I do I'll post here what I think.

I suppose what you think of the GS depends on your expectations and what you are actually looking for. I know it won't have the engine characteristics of a triple, that's obvious as it hasn't got a triple. I'm looking for something that is or feels much lighter than the Tex, has similar power to enjoy myself, and is comfy for touring. It'll be a different bike but if it meets my requirements I don't have a problem. If it doesn't I wouldn't consider it. Why try different bikes then say they aren't like an Explorer, that's obvious before you sit on it as they aren't Explorers.  :002:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #51 on: December 28, 2020, 07:49:30 PM
FWIW I spent 2020 on a Royal Enfield Himalayan. And I love it for what it is. 24 hp does not keep up with the guys on GSs, but I spent most of this year riding by myself. I took the bike to Mexico for 3 weeks in January just before all hell broke loose and the Hima packed everything I needed for comfortable touring and mild off-road adventure. Covered about 3000 miles. And yes, it requires some attitude adjustment. And at $4500 with a thousand miles on it, it was not a major investment.

I went to move the TEX in the garage a few weeks ago and was shocked at how heavy it now feels, in comparison to the Hima.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline bazthebike

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: xcx 17/blue
  • City / Town: southwest
Reply #52 on: January 21, 2021, 12:04:09 PM
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
Well, three months later and I still haven't ordered a Tiger 900.

After a lot of thought I decided to wait a few months and not make any hasty decisions.

When looking at the cost of the GT Pro with the necessary luggage it's a lot more than my Explorer was new.

Before I make any decision now I'm going to try a GS 1200 as a low mileage year old model with luggage can be picked up for less money than the Tiger. It also feels very light lifting it off the sidestand.

I'm also considering the possibility of keeping the Explorer and getting a new Himalayan to keep it company.

My next euro tour will be next summer and I'm still wondering what I'll be riding.   :034:             Similar thoughts here. Im very close to 67 and struggle with weight. Have ridden the 900 gt pro twice and not sure. Think its the cost of luggage etc. Have seen a few new 900s discounted so that makes a bit of difference. Decided the gt would be suffice and later add the centre stand and heated seats. laguna motorcycles just sold a black 900gt brand new unregistered for £9995. thats £1500 off the current list price as triumph have shoved them up £300.
Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:05:53 PM by bazthebike

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #53 on: January 21, 2021, 01:00:28 PM
My 2018 XCa was in for its annual service yesterday and I took a 900 GT Pro as a loaner. It is an exceptional bike, that engine delivers its power very differently to ours. I wasn't expecting to like it but was mightily impressed. Load carrying capacity only 10Kg-12Kg less which is hugely impressive, the 50Kg weight loss is readily felt and it goes like stink.

If you were a 1200 owner looking for a lighter bike and wanted to stick with the brand I think you would be delighted with the 900. Loss of shaft drive of course and some other features, no linked brakes for instance (I love those) but that's the price you pay. The seat is as comfy and the "lower spec" Marzocchi suspension on the GT range was superb. With only a 29" leg I really enjoyed the GT seat height and the seat to peg ratio, all important for ageing hips, seemed as good as the T12. The Rally style looks a bit cooler but it is a tall thing.

Would I change my 1200 for it? No I wouldn't, not right now, I can still handle the weight and the 1200 has a prescense about it which is lacking on the 900. I really enjoyed my day on the Tiger 900 but enjoyed my Tiger 1200 more on the way back.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Reply #54 on: January 21, 2021, 10:28:08 PM
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
It'll be a few weeks before I arrange a test ride now as in CV19 isolation plus snow is on the way but when I do I'll post here what I think.

I suppose what you think of the GS depends on your expectations and what you are actually looking for. I know it won't have the engine characteristics of a triple, that's obvious as it hasn't got a triple. I'm looking for something that is or feels much lighter than the Tex, has similar power to enjoy myself, and is comfy for touring. It'll be a different bike but if it meets my requirements I don't have a problem. If it doesn't I wouldn't consider it. Why try different bikes then say they aren't like an Explorer, that's obvious before you sit on it as they aren't Explorers.  :002:

Take a test ride on an R1250R...its 527 lbs but very light feeling due to the lower COG and with 136Hp and 105 lb ft of torque it will absolutely smoke the Triumph .

Offline jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #55 on: January 21, 2021, 11:09:35 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
My 2018 XCa was in for its annual service yesterday and I took a 900 GT Pro as a loaner. It is an exceptional bike, that engine delivers its power very differently to ours. I wasn't expecting to like it but was mightily impressed. Load carrying capacity only 10Kg-12Kg less which is hugely impressive, the 50Kg weight loss is readily felt and it goes like stink.

If you were a 1200 owner looking for a lighter bike and wanted to stick with the brand I think you would be delighted with the 900. Loss of shaft drive of course and some other features, no linked brakes for instance (I love those) but that's the price you pay. The seat is as comfy and the "lower spec" Marzocchi suspension on the GT range was superb. With only a 29" leg I really enjoyed the GT seat height and the seat to peg ratio, all important for ageing hips, seemed as good as the T12. The Rally style looks a bit cooler but it is a tall thing.

Would I change my 1200 for it? No I wouldn't, not right now, I can still handle the weight and the 1200 has a prescense about it which is lacking on the 900. I really enjoyed my day on the Tiger 900 but enjoyed my Tiger 1200 more on the way back.

Great stuff, thanks for your opinion on the 900 Tel :467: It certainly seems appealing with that massive weight reduction, which would be very welcome. The idea of the 'T plane' crank stuff bothers me a bit, but without trying if for myself I couldn't comment. It's just that that I love the torque and the turbine smoothness of my T1200 engine & drive... it's bloody wonderful! Perhaps I'm best served not looking cos the missus'd kill me if suggested changing again!

Offline daveh

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2019 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Ballarat
Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 05:33:35 AM
For what it’s worth, my previous bike was a R115GS, 2001 model.
The telelever front end is the biggest difference by far.
The front does not dive under braking, which is wonderful.
There is very little difference in the weight feeling between these two that I can notice,
however I was off the GS for almost 10 months before getting my XRX.
The Boxer motor is deceptively fast, I’d often look at the speedo and be surprised at how fast I was travelling.
The Tiger is quite the opposite, and it feels like it’s going faster than it is, so much so
that on highway travelling if I’ve not set the cruise control I drop below the speed limit without realising.
The more I ride it the more I love it.
If the BM spline had not stripped itself I’d probably be still riding it, and not know any better.