Author Topic: TPMS - May not need replacing!  (Read 781 times)

Offline Tigerman2012

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Essex
TPMS - May not need replacing!
on: September 14, 2020, 09:23:28 PM
Hi
Been away for far too long, but thought I'd share this with everyone. :028:
2012 Explorer, bought new, now has 65k miles on the clock, and it still creates a huge grin each time I take her out! :001:

Anyway, the TPMS has been working all that time, and I do like this feature as it is easy to keep track of what's happening in the circular black rubber bits.
Started seeing 'lo batt' on occasion, and when I went change the rear tyre (Conti TrailAtak 3 - brilliant!)  :046: I thought I'd renew the battery in the TPMS. Not paying a small fortune for a replacement! :151:

Bought some batteries and electrical conductive glue, and having left the wheel with the tyre fitter, brought the sensor home...

The new batteries should be 3 - 3.2v, and when I checked the old battery, it was 2.92v!!! Started looking deeper into the issue and it appears that the ECU firmware is not quite what it should be! False 'lo batt' warnings prevail... :187:

I have not changed the battery, and if I get a 'lo batt' warning, I just press the 'info' button and the warning goes out. :152:
In saying that however, I have only seen one warning light on the display for low tyre pressure. It was accurate as the tyre was low, due to the TPMS valve not seating properly! :005:
If the throttle is not wide open, and the clutch not disengaged, I'm not doing it right...

Offline Nash

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XT
  • City / Town: Landen
Re: TPMS - May not need replacing!
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:41:28 AM
Thanks for sharing.  :464:

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:25:09 PM
“Info button”.

???

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 12:32:29 PM
*Originally Posted by Tigerman2012 [+]
The new batteries should be 3 - 3.2v, and when I checked the old battery, it was 2.92v!!! Started looking deeper into the issue and it appears that the ECU firmware is not quite what it should be! False 'lo batt' warnings prevail... :187:
I would say that the low battery detection / thresholds in the immobiliser may be a little sensitive, but the ECU has nothing to do with the TPMS warnings. The sensors report the battery voltage to the immobiliser and it then places the pressure, temperature and warning data onto the CAN bus which the instruments react to. The 'lo-bAtt' warnings on the instruments' display can be ignored, often for many years, until the pressure readings stop being displayed, then it's time to change the batteries.

...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Tigerman2012

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Essex
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 04:54:40 PM
Hi Phil. Info button on LH handlebar control. It lets you scroll through your personalised settings. Mine shows tyre pressures, outside temperature, total miles, trip miles.

Thanks also to T800XC for the update on how the 'lo batt' warning is configured...
If the throttle is not wide open, and the clutch not disengaged, I'm not doing it right...

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 04:31:54 PM
I've been getting the 'lo batt' warning for about five years but the TPMS seems to work just fine.   :084: I'll worry when I don't get it  :001:

2012 Explorer and done 40k.

Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren