Author Topic: Check your Puig Hugger on Gen 3's  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Stotty

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer of course
  • City / Town: Peebles, Scot Border
Check your Puig Hugger on Gen 3's
on: September 23, 2020, 09:54:49 AM
Out riding and heard a clatter and ratttle as I entered Moffat after coming over the
Stopped, and found the rear fixing on my Puig hugger had cracked right through.  Did not have the tools to remove, no garages open so I tried superglue it to hold it until I got home (20 miles).  Didn't work and it came off completely during the ride back.  It had been on the bike for 20k miles, bike has never been off road not hit any major pot holes etc.  Contacted Puig and they said it must have been fitted incorrectly, end of story.  I fitted it and the last time it was touched was 5k miles ago when I changed the rear pads.  It was torqued up to 54Nm as normal.  I suspect a casting issue but it doesn't matter now as Puig have zero interest.  Not heard of this failure before so I could just have been unlucky.  Suggest you check yours regualrly... as it is an expensive bit just to fall off and it will mark your bike on its way out.

Online glenn389

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
Re: Check your Puig Hugger on Gen 3's
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:55:39 AM
I have heard of one doing the same sometime ago, and as a result keep checking the one I have. I have just removed it after a total of 25,000 miles on two XCA's. It looks absolutely fine and will be fitted to my next XCA which should be this week. Glad you are okay. Thanks for the heads up.  :467:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 05:12:31 PM
Looks poorly designed to me. Very small shoulder on the casting to take all that torque.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online glenn389

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:04:45 PM
I thought it was 40Nm for the rear brake caliper retaining bolts?

Offline Stotty

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer of course
  • City / Town: Peebles, Scot Border
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 06:54:07 AM
*Originally Posted by glenn389 [+]
I thought it was 40Nm for the rear brake caliper retaining bolts?

With the original bolts yes, but with the Puig kit you get bigger bolts and they up the torque.  See below (9)

If yours is at 40Nm, I’d nip them up!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 05:29:45 PM
Longer bolts do not warranty an increase in torque. I would be highly suspect of that number. Torquing over factory spec could lead to stripping the threads. Not what you want on a critical brake component.

BTW where is the washer that the instructions show? I don't see it in your pictures. That could explain the casting failure.
Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:32:43 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Pro
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa '69
  • City / Town: Swindon
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 10:16:39 PM
I had exactly the same on my Gen 2.

Puig wouldn't even respond to the first emails, then stated to contact the retailer..... who told me to contact Puig - got nowhere.

Looked great but was a complete waste of £180
TTruckie

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 10:56:12 PM
*Originally Posted by TTruckie [+]
I had exactly the same on my Gen 2.

Puig wouldn't even respond to the first emails, then stated to contact the retailer..... who told me to contact Puig - got nowhere.

Looked great but was a complete waste of £180
Looking at the instructions, I wonder if Puig realized that they had made a mistake with the design and then added the flat washer later to distribute the force over the entire casting rather than just the small internal shoulder.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 09:18:34 AM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Longer bolts do not warranty an increase in torque. I would be highly suspect of that number. Torquing over factory spec could lead to stripping the threads. Not what you want on a critical brake component.

:0461: :0461: :0461:

Offline tommy tiger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 1200 tiger
  • City / Town: Halstead
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 05:22:00 PM
hello all, i have exactly the same hugger on my mk2 and took no notice of the torque specs as mislaid the t/wrench, used blue threadlock and tightened with hand tools,been ok for about 7000 miles the bracket [could] be saveable maybe ??. 

nonskid