Author Topic: Check your Puig Hugger on Gen 3's  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Drzdiver

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: Cochran
Re: Check your Puig Hugger on Gen 3's
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 07:27:15 PM
SIMMO, I will definitely give skidmarx a try. Thanks.

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 07:37:59 PM
Mine failed on front bracket (not rear as OP) on Gen2 but due to dealer NOT tightening brake caliper bolt at service (I specifically asked them to check operation as rear pads wore very quickly). 300 miles later snapped.  Dealer is replacing foc but having issue sourcing new.  The one on my Gen1 did 35000 miles OK and this had done 10000.
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline TTruckie

• Explorer Pro
  • XCa in 'fastest' White
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa '69
  • City / Town: Swindon
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 09:58:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Drzdiver [+]
Stotty, All three of mine have broken about 3 inches up the bracket arm from the caliper bolt. Just snapped. 1 maybe bad, 2 maybe my fault, but 3, definitely a design or material flaw. Each one broke after off road use.
Yep mine broke on the arms, not the mounting holes.
TTruckie

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 08:32:20 PM
Give Skidmarx in Weymouth a call.
Their website isn't clear but I had their GRP hugger fitted to my Gen1 and it was great.
When I changed to a Gen2 Skidmarx used my bike to redesign their unit. The new version has now been fitted to both my Gen2's and my latest Gen3 and touch wood is still going strong.
I can hand on heart say I've never had a problem with their product.
I've just had a look out of interest because they are fairly close to me (excuse for a ride as if I needed one) and unless I'm blind (possible) Skidmarx list 4 huggers for Explorer and they are all up to 2015. Nothing later for Gen2 or Gen3
Chippy

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 11:02:52 PM
Hi Chippy

I thought that was odd myself but they definitely developed a hugger for the Gen2 XR range - I spent a good few hours down there on several occasions while they did it! I then know for a fact that it also fits the Gen3 because it was transferred when I upgraded.

I thought it might be worth giving them a buzz and asking the question.

Dave
2019 Tiger 1200 XRT in White fitted with TPMS, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, and Givi Trekker Outback 58L Top Box.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 11:21:30 PM
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Give Skidmarx in Weymouth a call.

Their website isn't clear but I had their GRP hugger fitted to my Gen1 and it was great.

When I changed to a Gen2 Skidmarx used my bike to redesign their unit. The new version has now been fitted to both my Gen2's and my latest Gen3 and touch wood is still going strong.

I can hand on heart say I've never had a problem with their product.

Simmo

I had one fitted to my Gen-2 (when I owned it) from Skidmarx and TBH didn't keep it on long, personally I was not overly happy with the way that it fitted (very close to the tyre) and bracketing seemed just not right. I also found when I fitted a Givi toolbox to my Givi pannier racks that the hugger rubbed on the tool box. Took it off after a few weeks and replaced it with the Puig (which I never had an issue with).

Unusual maybe as I've used SKidmarx stuff on previous bikes with no problem at all. Maybe I was just unlucky on this occassion who knows, as others (like yourself Simmo) have had no issue.

Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:26:27 PM by Hawkeye

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 06:12:12 PM
I had one fitted to my Gen-2 (when I owned it) from Skidmarx and TBH didn't keep it on long, personally I was not overly happy with the way that it fitted (very close to the tyre) and bracketing seemed just not right. I also found when I fitted a Givi toolbox to my Givi pannier racks that the hugger rubbed on the tool box. Took it off after a few weeks and replaced it with the Puig (which I never had an issue with).

Unusual maybe as I've used SKidmarx stuff on previous bikes with no problem at all. Maybe I was just unlucky on this occassion who knows, as others (like yourself Simmo) have had no issue.

Haven't gone searching but seem to recall somebody on here actually had one of theirs cut into a tyre. (quite possibly Gen1 fitment on a Gen2 I guess)
Chippy

Offline Roadking22

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: XC Explorer
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 06:38:06 PM
Been thinking about getting one of these, now rethinking, why increase torque as longer bolts should not require that as stated by others and if customer service is as good (bad) as stated then they can keep their products..

nonskid