Author Topic: Crash bars could save you money but not your embarrassment  (Read 1255 times)

Online jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Well the (almost) inevitable happened this afternoon, I stopped at a T junction an over she went, as everyone says, you're not stopping her when she's going down! :001: Apart from the damage to my pride of having several people rushing to help me pick the bike up again, there were only 2 casualties, 1 indicator & a metalised tank finisher, how expensive can that be? Not too bad I thought as the engine bars seemed to have taken the brunt of it.

Wrong!

New prices: Indicator = £44.99 + Tank Finisher = £140.59 (just a piece of metalised plastic). Total = £185.58 inc tax and shipping!
SW-Motech upper crash bars £171.95 including tax and shipping.

So I'm already down on the deal, I can also see that the mirror edge and hand guard were 'burnished' by the tarmac but not damaged so it could so nearly have cost me an additional £133, all from a gentle slow-motion roll over. :003:

And the kicker, it's all my own fault... not just the drop... I nearly bought the upper bars this very week (after watching @Icy's drop video :005:) but decided to wait until they were next on discount to save a few quid... wot a dummy I am!

I don't expect that the upper bars will protect very much in an accident at speed but unless you can guarantee you'll never let her down, they look like an absolute bargain £££/$$$!

+ A big thank you to @Icy, I used his technique to get the bike back up, albeit with a little assistance and I remembered to put the side stand down beforehand, just as he showed in the video :467:, otherwise I'd be even more out of pocket!

Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:16:51 PM by jannerman

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Re: Crash bars could save you money but not your embarrassment
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 09:58:26 PM
ouch. but hey, it comes with the territory.

:002:  :467: :821:  :047:

it's good to be useful every once in a while. and I cannot believe that you don't have the upper-crash bars! {insert spanking icon} I'm telling you, they pay for themselves in the first drop  :745:

anywho, all that matters is that you received no physical damage.

onward and upward!

:821: cheers mate
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 12:56:00 PM
Dropped mine in Spain last week. I was getting off on the "wrong" side, which I do when fully loaded because panniers, etc, make it difficult to dismount normally. I managed to pull the bike towards me as I dismounted, struggled for a second or so, and then it gently came to rest on a stone bollard on the pannier.  So pannier slightly dented on the corner - but that makes it look more authentic, right?

Several lovely Spanish people came to my aid (all wearing masks, because they take it very seriously there. I wasn't because I had just got off the bike, so I was slightly embarrassed by that.) It was back the right way up quickly.  My Spanish, flakey at the best of times, deserted me, and I resorted to an Indian hands-together thank you.

See my recent post about "How heavy is too heavy?".  I do love the bike, but it's a liability when you can't lift it on your own. For the record, I'm 68 but I don't think I could have lifted it 40 years ago, particularly with 40Kg of panniers and topbox.

I did fit the upper crash bars (after the last drop, of course) but they have remained pristine, as according to Sod's Law.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 03:59:37 PM
Upper crash bars WILL save your bike on a big "off" I crashed at "slightly" over the speed limit a couple of years back, and the only real damage was a broken indicator. All the rest was (expensive) cosmetic damage. The tow truck guy said I could have ridden it home. (well........somebody could have ridden it home. With a broken collar bone and 8 broken ribs, it wasn't going to be me  :087:)

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 04:03:29 PM
ouch!
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 06:00:51 PM
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
Upper crash bars WILL save your bike on a big "off" I crashed at "slightly" over the speed limit   :087:)
That's an added bonus for me then, I'd didn't imagine that they could do much in that sort of an off :467:

I've been waffling on about the cost side of things but last night it occurred to me that the big tiger would've made a right mess of my leg if it'd landed on it, even at a standstill, and my leg's worth a damn sight more to me than £170!

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:44 PM
I have them fitted to mine and to the Wife's 800. I now buy metal filler and black semi gloss rattle cans in bulk.
I'm not saying any more than that.

SW

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 09:03:06 PM
Oh, by the way, I also had  fitted Barkbusters, which totally saved the clutch lever and handlebars  :467:

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 10:49:35 AM
I fitted foldable levers for just such an occasion. And a foldable gear lever. I’m either paranoid or a klutz (or both).

I love to tour empty places - so my paranoia is emphasised by the difficulty of getting broken stuff fixed.

*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
Oh, by the way, I also had  fitted Barkbusters, which totally saved the clutch lever and handlebars  :467:
--------
If not now, when?

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: RTW
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 01:53:50 AM
I got caught with some very fine dust on a shiny tar surface somewhere in the north of Pakistan last year. Downhill corner and suddenly was sliding down the road at about 50klm/hr. Watched as I and the bike parted company and she slid a further 10 metres or so down the road. Aside from a graze on the Heed upper (RHS) and a grind on the front corner of the Triumph plastic box there was ZERO damage. For mine, upper crash bars should be the very first upgrade a rider makes.