Author Topic: Front/Rear pre-load adjustment  (Read 477 times)

Offline DanceswithTiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '12 Tiger 12
  • City / Town: Rochester, NY
Front/Rear pre-load adjustment
on: September 30, 2020, 07:47:40 PM
I ride a 2012 that I picked up new in May of that year. I replaced the rear spring with a Hyperpro unit in August of 2013. In the last two years I've lost 30-35 #'s and decided it might make the bike a bit more comfortable if I back off the pre-load just a bit. Read the manual for reference and went to the bike to see what was what.

I turned the rear adjuster both directions and don't hear or feel any "clicks" to tell me where it is. I ran it in a bunch of turns and wondered if I would ever hit a stop. I quit turning before it stopped. Not that it's at all scientific, but bouncing on the bike doesn't feel much different to my admittedly uncalibrated ass.

So...bad adjuster? just need to go further to find the end point?

If I do find a bottom, how many clicks per turn are there on the way back to the recommended setting?

TIA,
Dave
Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 07:53:39 PM by DanceswithTiger
Dave
Rochester, NY

'12 Tiger 12

Offline DanceswithTiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Re: Front/Rear pre-load adjustment
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 07:55:01 PM
Update: Perseverance helps.  :046: I found the bottom (hardest) of the adjustment, and finally heard the clicks as I turned it out.
Dave
Rochester, NY

'12 Tiger 12

Offline rtintel

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tex 14 Grey/Spoke
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:11:36 AM
I made exactly the same mod for my 2014 Gen1
The Hyperpro manual states only static SAG wich is recommended at 1,5 cm = about 0,6 inch
rebound damping 8-10 clicks from closed as reference.
I corrected the rider sag by 1 turn harder because the bike sank too low with me + gear + some luggage.
The rider SAG is how deep the suspension is compressed when loaded with the rider + gear at more or less 30% of the full travel.

Full travel = 194mm = about 7.8 Inch
I do not have the unit with external reservoir. The rebound damping is adjusted by the ring on the bottom of the Damper.
I hope this helps you a bit.
Rob

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 11:22:57 PM
*Originally Posted by DanceswithTiger [+]
I ride a 2012 that I picked up new in May of that year. I replaced the rear spring with a Hyperpro unit in August of 2013. In the last two years I've lost 30-35 #'s and decided it might make the bike a bit more comfortable if I back off the pre-load just a bit. Read the manual for reference and went to the bike to see what was what.

I turned the rear adjuster both directions and don't hear or feel any "clicks" to tell me where it is. I ran it in a bunch of turns and wondered if I would ever hit a stop. I quit turning before it stopped. Not that it's at all scientific, but bouncing on the bike doesn't feel much different to my admittedly uncalibrated ass.

So...bad adjuster? just need to go further to find the end point?

If I do find a bottom, how many clicks per turn are there on the way back to the recommended setting?

TIA,
Dave
Preload is not there to make your bike harder or softer, it is there to adjust your shock/forks so that when you sit on the bike, in all of your gear, you are using to around 30% of your suspension travel (SAG). The more weight you put on the bike the more preload you need to compensate for your weight to try and get back to that 30% figure. Preload is just about getting the useable suspension travel right for bumps and troughs in the road. If you want a more supple ride change the damping. Change the damping front and back to fully firm, max damping, test ride, then set to fully soft, min damping, test ride to get a feel for the full range of damping available to you then experiment to find a good setting somewhere inbetween that suits you.

Offline DanceswithTiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 01:07:23 PM
Thanks for the clear explanation. Makes a lot of sense. On mine the front is preload only, so that's pretty much out of the equation.

Time for more test riding, yay!

*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Preload is not there to make your bike harder or softer, it is there to adjust your shock/forks so that when you sit on the bike, in all of your gear, you are using to around 30% of your suspension travel (SAG). The more weight you put on the bike the more preload you need to compensate for your weight to try and get back to that 30% figure. Preload is just about getting the useable suspension travel right for bumps and troughs in the road. If you want a more supple ride change the damping. Change the damping front and back to fully firm, max damping, test ride, then set to fully soft, min damping, test ride to get a feel for the full range of damping available to you then experiment to find a good setting somewhere inbetween that suits you.
Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 01:09:39 PM by DanceswithTiger
Dave
Rochester, NY

'12 Tiger 12

nonskid